Same as other users, suddenly my BT email account refuses to let me receive or send messages, whether using Outlook on a PC or the Apple client on an iPad or iPhone. All worked yesterday!
Interestingly, I am also unable to login to btyahoo, it says "Invalid ID or password".
I see that there are posts out there saying it is an "intermittent" problem. Does that mean BT don't know what the problem is? Do I just have to wait and cross my fingers in the hope that it suddenly starts working again?
Oh and in case anyone wondered, i pinged mail.btinternet.com, the server was 22.214.171.124.
Pguest, (Your last reply crossed with this. I admire your psychic powers !!) (edited)
Does that mean BT don't know what the problem is? Simple answer is probably NO as the fault is most likely with Yahoo.
Do I just have to wait and cross my fingers in the hope that it suddenly starts working again? Again no.
You have probably looked at the More email problems thread above.
Note the advice about not changing anything on your PC and other devices. THEN
First check that you are having the same error message.
Secondly ping mail.btinternet.com to check that this works and record the IP address to see if we can pin down if a particular server is to blame. Let us know the result and IP address please
Thirdly as you are failing to login to btyahoo try the forgotten password route. If this works it shows that your User id is being accepted. Try resetting your password to your existing password. This avoids having to change your password in all your devices. On another problem I had this worked for me.
The latter step should allow you to login to BT Yahoo.
Logout and try Outlook again.
If it works , as a special favour ping mail.btinternet.com to see if the IP address has changed.
Sane Voice II you are doing me the favour! Pinged and it had changed, now 126.96.36.199.
Indeed I had already tried the password reset via btyahoo.com (to the same old password) trick, yes it recognised me, yes it allowed me to change password, but no it doesn't seem to have refreshed through the system, I still cannot send/receive POP email through any combination of client or device, and I still cannot log in to btyahoo.com (same invalid ID or password message).
Pinged again (again) and this time 188.8.131.52.
Pinged again back to 184.108.40.206.
Am currently relying on the "fingers crossed" method of fault resolution.
Here's an interesting extra snippet, perhaps to help diagnose the problem.
When I first "changed" my password (to what it already was) on btyahoo.com, I received an advisory email from "BT Yahoo! My Account Services" telling me that the password had been changed. I did the same password "change" trick again just now, but this time have not received an advisory email.
(I should mention that the email was sent to my alternate address which runs on a different POP server (not BT, not Yahoo), I am not being a complete muppet.)
Not sure whether to try and post a screen grab of the update email, the Yahoo! share price or the news item about Yahoo! firing their Managing Director by telephone. On the last point, I now assume that they tried to fire her by email but it wasn't working....
pguest, I am sure I read somewhere that they fired her by telephone !
Can I ask you to do a "tracert mail.btinternet.com" to see the route that is being taken to the server.
220.127.116.11 has been working ok for me.
The other thread seems to suggest that 18.104.22.168 was giving problems.
Here you go, don't know if this helps, on this tracert it was indeed going to 22.214.171.124, but I do occasionally get other servers. At this stage I am contemplating paying for a third party email host......
Tracing route to pop-smtp.bt.mail.fy5.b.yahoo.com [126.96.36.199]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
1 * 3 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 25 ms 25 ms 25 ms esr16.kingston5.broadband.bt.net [188.8.131.52]
3 33 ms 26 ms 25 ms 184.108.40.206
4 27 ms 30 ms 27 ms 220.127.116.11
5 33 ms 28 ms 26 ms 18.104.22.168
6 28 ms 28 ms 26 ms 22.214.171.124
7 29 ms 29 ms 27 ms acc2-10GigE-0-1-0-6.l-far.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.1
8 34 ms 34 ms 30 ms core1-te0-15-0-2.ilford.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.2
9 29 ms 27 ms 28 ms peer1-xe10-0-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.
10 38 ms 29 ms 28 ms ge-1-1-0.pat1.the.yahoo.com [126.96.36.199]
11 30 ms 34 ms 28 ms ge-4-1-0.msr2.ukl.yahoo.com [188.8.131.52]
12 38 ms 35 ms 31 ms te-8-4.bas-a2.ukl.yahoo.com [184.108.40.206]
13 31 ms 30 ms 30 ms pop-smtp1-a.bt.mail.vip.ukl.yahoo.com [217.12.13
Thanks for that. I manually set the server to 220.127.116.11 and successfully connected using Outlook so it looks as if it is unlikely that server is the problem. My route to the server was slightly different but not significantly so.
As you have a solid problem I suggest you now contact the moderators using
and see what they come up with.
Proper thanks for all your efforts.
I crossed my fingers really hard when I went to bed last night and slept with a lucky charm under my pillow. Switched on this morning and the problem has gone, everything working, all clients, all devices. Not sure if this counts as a "solution" but it worked for me. Since my luck is clearly in I am now off to Smith's to buy a lottery ticket.
On a technical note, this morning's ping is 18.104.22.168. As well as using POP email across multiple clients and devices I am also now able to log in to btyahoo.com.
The fact of the matter is that it is simply unacceptable, after years of the same problem, in a critical service such as email, for BT and Yahoo to admit they haven't actually bothered to work out what the problem is.
Shame on both of you, and a big thank-you to all the BT support staff, and other contributors to this forum, for trying to help diagnose and fix this problem.
Bye, until the next time.