cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pguest
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 23

Re: More email problems - same as other users

AAARGH yesterday the same problem recurred, all devices, all clients, no access.  Also tried btyahoo.com but wouldn't even let me in there.  BT/Yahoo what are you doing?  This is a known, recurring problem, over many years, why don't you try and fix it?

0 Ratings
gazamataz
Contributor
Message 12 of 23

constant send/receive errors using both Outlook & Outlook express, this has been ongoing  for days

Today popup box appearing every few minutes wanting server logon name & password.
have done ping on mail.btinternet.com and server is 217.146.188.192 

0 Ratings
davidweller
Beginner
Message 13 of 23

I have had the same problem for last week.....

I can access via yahoo on internet no problem, via Iphone no problem

Unable to get email when using outlook 2010.....

Spent 4 hours on phone to India still no joy

Also outlook used to wipe messages from server when downloaded no longer seems to do this, have to go in via yahoo and delete manually.

Removed account, repaired pst file, changed password, unistalled office re installed etc etc

BT support kept telling me my password wrong !!!!  but it works on yahoo and iphone ?

please help driving me mad!!!!! 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 23

@davidweller wrote:

I have had the same problem for last week.....

I can access via yahoo on internet no problem, via Iphone no problem

Unable to get email when using outlook 2010.....

Spent 4 hours on phone to India still no joy

Also outlook used to wipe messages from server when downloaded no longer seems to do this, have to go in via yahoo and delete manually.

Removed account, repaired pst file, changed password, unistalled office re installed etc etc

BT support kept telling me my password wrong !!!!  but it works on yahoo and iphone ?

please help driving me mad!!!!! 

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Are you getting any error messages ?

Have a look at my shortcuts, option 0d/h and perhaps change the mail server names to those shown.

How are you accessing via an iPhone ? e.g. what are the servers you are using ?

In Outlook, you need to go into the Account Settings/More settings/Advanced and make sure that "Leave a copy of messages on server" is unticked. If you're referring to the messages being sent to the Trash folder on the server (but deleted from the Inbox), then that's a new "feature"".

If I may be frank here, uninstalling/re-installing Outlook or altering the password wouldn't necessarily have cured any problem. It could actually be a local security product interferring with Outlook. What package (e.g. Norton/McAfee) are you using ?

0 Ratings
gazamataz
Contributor
Message 15 of 23

In addition to the problems PC based problems I wasnt able to access mail on phone either, I sent the mods a message last night and asked for help. 

This morning mail working on PC and phone , to me this all seems very strange, as if there have been server problems which have been fixed, can the mods tell us if there have been issues  ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 23

@gazamataz wrote:

In addition to the problems PC based problems I wasnt able to access mail on phone either, I sent the mods a message last night and asked for help. 

This morning mail working on PC and phone , to me this all seems very strange, as if there have been server problems which have been fixed, can the mods tell us if there have been issues  ?

Hi.

These problems are nearly always user specific rather than server problems. Although there are a few reports of access failure, if there was a server problem many, many would be reporting this, as well as in the BTinternet newsgroups. A global outage is actually quite obvious in this respect (I've seen this over the years when that sort of problem happens, massive amounts of posts will appear).

However there do seem to be more reports of access failures.

0 Ratings
davidweller
Beginner
Message 17 of 23

Hi Andy

I am using microsoft virus and spam protection have done for 6 months no issue however tried switcching it off and it made no difference.

I changed my account name and password only to an old bt yahoo account that i dont use much and instantly received access and retrieved emails also checked on line and the downloaded emails had been deleted correctly.

With a smile on my face re inserted current email used id and password and again failed to connect or download emails !!

Can I get email account reset without loosing the email address ?

I use same details for iphone as i do for the pc

Hope this helps

0 Ratings
davidweller
Beginner
Message 18 of 23

I forgot to add that using the old email address also deleted downloaded emails from the server without me changing any further settings.

I can only pressume the issue must be with the email account and not outlook, or my pc or antivirus protection etc ?

Thanks

0 Ratings
MarkV
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 23

Just started getting this error again, after a couple of days of freedom.

Ping of mail.btinternet.com returns 217.146.188.192, which is the same address as it was yesterday when all was working fine.

So I don't think it's a dodgy server.

Mark

0 Ratings
davidweller
Beginner
Message 20 of 23

BT, tell me today its a known issue with some email accounts where they are being accessed by more than one piece of equipment at the same time ie pc and iphone etc

They also suggest this is a known problem and a fix is due out in October.......

Given that what they have said is true why did i hang on the phone to India for 3 1/2 hours three days ago !!!!

0 Ratings