Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 38

More incompetence and lies from BT

Go to solution
We had standard ADSL broadband and phone package with BT but after receiving a special offer email from BT we decided to accept and set up the upgrade to Infinity. All went well with the "paperwork" and the date was set for today. We were warned that our current broadband service would stop at some point during today and we weren't to worry as the new Infinity package would take no more than half an hour to become active.

Well that's a **bleep** lie for a start! We lost our broadband early this morning and here we are, nearly ten hours later STILL WITHOUT broadband as the Infinity package isn't yet activated! Before anyone asks, yes I've changed the hub4 to the newly acquired hub5, but having spoken to the help desk they reckon it could take up to midnight to become active!

So tell me, what's the **bleep** point in telling us it would take around half an hour when thats a clear blatant lie? I need the broadband for my work, I'm self employed and rely on it for my income! I guess we should have known really,BT are the biggest joke in the country, a communications business that doesn't even communicate with its customers. We had so much trouble getting out phone line put in months ago, it took nearly two months for them to do that, heaven only knows why I decided to accept their Infinity offer - maybe it's because BT are infinitely **bleep**!
0 Ratings
37 REPLIES 37
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 38

Re: More incompetence and lies from BT

Go to solution
Hopefully it will be working by midnight. Fingers crossed 🙂
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 38

Go to solution

If you are self employed and need broadband for your businesss is this a business conenction as that is a different forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 38

Go to solution
Yes I'm self employed but it's a domestic line as its used primarily for home use, I use the service for my work for only a fraction of the time daily. I don't use it enough to justify a business contract.

Either way, that's clearly beside the point!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 38

Go to solution

When you have Infinity installed it does normally only leave you without a connection for half an hour so you were not lied to. On occasions it can take longer and BT say that your activation can take up to midnight on your day of installation. See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47223/~/what-happens-on-the-bt-infinity-activation-da...

When the activation does not go ahead within a short time the experience on this forum shows that there is normally a problem which will only get resolved by you contacting BT and them having an engineer investigate the problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 38

Go to solution

I'll give my usual quote from the Terms and Conditions:

You must not use the service for any commercial or business purpose whatsoever unless we have given you permission to do so. If we find that you are using the service in for business or commercial purposes we reserve the right to limit or terminate the service immediately.

I could also throw in:

We aim to provide a continuous, high-quality service but we do not guarantee either the quality of the service or that the service will be available at all times. From time to time faults in the service may occur. We will repair these faults as soon as we can.

BT never guarantees that their residential service will work all the time.  If it doesn't work, then a call-out can take up to three working days.  If your service is so important to you, get a business line.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 38

Go to solution
Sounds like a faulty DSL Port or your profile might not have been built correctly. This is a draw back with Self Installs, especially if the cab jumper is done by a cowboy, also known as Kelly's Communications or MJ Quimms....

Openreach Engineers are issued with one of two hand held testers, EXFO or JDSU.... They can use it to check sync and for a PPPoE session......

Contractors just use a home made bomb, basically a battery pack with a DSL Moden tapped to it..... This will prove there's sync but won't confirm a PPPoE session.....
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 38

Go to solution
You can quote all you want to, when we spoke to Residential Sales it was actually they who suggested I can use the residential contract in view of the limited traffic - otherwise they'd have no contract at all as it would prove financially pointless to have a business line, THEIR words my friend.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 38

Go to solution

As has often been pointed out on the forum, unless you are running a business solely from the residential line I doubt that the "BT Residential Line" police will come looking for you.

In any event the problem has nothing to do with that so is irrelevant. You will need to contact BT in the morning, I doubt they will do anything tonight,  to have them check it out. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 38

Go to solution

When my one was installed two years ago the changeover from regular ADSL (from another provider) to Infinity was done in under 2 hours (done on a Friday).

However, early Saturday morning (maybe midnight), it failed and BT would not fix or investigate it as the OpenReach engineer had not closed the install job off on their system so as far as they were concerened it was not installed.

It took till the next Wednesday or Thursday to fix it...