cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

Most of my neighbours have BT Infinity but I can't order it

Hi,

We've just moved to a new rural development of 15 houses, served by cabinet 7, Littlewick Green. Looking at a combination of:

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

and

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput

11 of the properties on this development either have fibre or are 'Accepting Orders' (with speeds of either 4.4-8; 8.6-14.8 or 9.2-15.5Mbps), but ours is one of 4 that are marked 'High Demand' and only offer standard broadband with a downstream line rate of up to 1Mbps.

I know that the properties with fibre are all varying distances from either the cabinet or exchange (some further, some nearer than us) and they were all wired identically by the builders.

Is there anything we can do? We both work from home and rely on the internet for working remotely, usually sending and receiving hefty files and documents that will take forever on 1Mbps.

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Most of my neighbours have BT Infinity but I can't order it

are you a bt broaband customer?  with the dslchecker estimates <15mb BT will not sell you infinity but may sell you broadband with fibre which is basically infinity 1 but for people with estimates below 15mb

try contacting openreach and see what they say 

https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040e0b080d

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your reply. I'm not a current BT broadband customer, no. We're looking to place an order if we can get something higher than 1Mb.

I'll try that form. Is there a bit of a disconnect between BT and Openreach? When I asked BT customer services why my neighbours had fibre and I was stuck with 1Mb, they pretty much said no and denied knowledge of anything past that point.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

although BT Retail our ISP and openreach are part of the BT Group they work totally independent of each other and treat all ISP the same as per OFCOM

Basically if the dslchecker does not show fibre available then you cannot order

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

Thanks - out of interest if another house on our development has fibre status 'Accepting Orders', but hasn't ordered it or isn't using it and is using standard broadband, can their fibre connection be switched over to us?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

if you are able to order fibre then engineer will just use the ports that are free - there are no places reserved for anyone - first come first served and many are full and waiting on upgrade with more capacity

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 7 of 7

Try ringing the FTTP sales team they should know what the situation is. 0800 587 4787

Do let us know how you get on.

0 Ratings