Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jase888
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Move master socket upstairs

Go to solution

Hi, Im getting fibre installed next week and want to move my master socket upstairs to my study. I understand sometimes the engineer will do this and want to have the cable already in ready for them (rather than have them run it up the side of stairs.

What is the type of cable i need to get from the current master to where i want the new master? And will i need to connect it up or just leave it for them?

Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Move master socket upstairs

Go to solution
just ask the engineer
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Unless you have opted for an engineer install, you will just get a HH in the post.

0 Ratings
jase888
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
The house hasnt been lived in for a few years so the previous owners didnt have fibre broadband which is why theres no fibre socket on yet and BT told me there is an engineer booked for next monday.

I dont want to ask the engineer when hes here as hes hardly going to wait for me to drill a hole hide cable under floorboards.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Just get good quality Cat 5e cable and run it from where the "old" telephone socket is located to where you want it. The engineer will no doubt happily connect it up for you. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Assuming you are getting FTTC (fibre to the cabinet), there is no such thing as a fibre socket. Infinity just uses the normal copper phone line and socket. It is possible to fit a filtered faceplate type socket but it is not a requirement. If you have an existing phone line you won't get an engineer visit. If you are getting FTTP (fibre to the premises) the whole installation process is different anyway.

If you wish to provide a cable anyway, CW1308 is the spec for telephone cable but folks often opt for Cat5 or Cat6. CW1308 is thinner and easier to run but Cat5/6 provides more future proofing.

0 Ratings