Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
etrol
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Move my phone line to outbuilding?

Hi

Wonder if anyone can tell me if its possible to move an overhead phone line from the gable of the house to an outbuilding in the garden

Reason is we are having an alteration/extension and we will need to move the bracket etc from the gable since it is being demolished and rebuilt. If we had the master socket in an outbuilding which is about 20 metres away we could run an underground cable from there to the house which would look better.

Any help much appreciated

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Move my phone line to outbuilding?

You would need to  ask Openreach to do it, as they own the external network.

Use this form.

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/submitFeedback.do?contactReason=remove_relocate_external_networ...

0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 3 of 10

There are laws governing the install of an exchange line including up to the master socket. If as a result of external building renovation the OH-overhead wiring is moved/damaged etc . It must be re-installed by a openreach engineer. Any external cable involving the master socket must be done by poly cable of BSI standards and done by openreach. If you go ahead and ignore the regulations you will be in big trouble with BT if it becomes faulty in the future. IN my day not only was the full  monetary charge given but  you would be braking the telecommunications act and could be fined. THis isnt a joke its serious! It is to protect BTs exchanges and equipment from going faulty due to a "home job"                                                                                                                                      

0 Ratings
etrol
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Thanks for the link Keith

I know they will be able to reposition the line (at a price) but just wondered if anyone has experienced it being positioned in an outbuilding rather than the main house???

0 Ratings
etrol
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Duncan

Sorry you got the wrong impression

No we would have openreach install the mastersocket in the outbuilding and then either use wireless or a proper gel underground cable ourselves through duckting to the house

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

They will move it where you like, provided its safe to do so, and its high enough and a secure structure.

People have lines run to farm buildings, stables, etc.

If you do run an extension back to the house later, it must be connected to the extension side of the master socket, to protect the external network

0 Ratings
etrol
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Thanks Keith that makes sense

The outbuilding is brick but if it were not high enough do you think I could use some sort of pole fixed to its wall?

0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 8 of 10

Etrol-You had me worried for a minute. I am usually on the side of the subscriber but I got the impression that you were going to do it all yourself. And as said above as long as you terminate it onto the removable cover of the master socket and use what you said you would use "the proper gel underground cable" you should be okay. Just noticed you asked about a pole. OR poles are impregnated with rot resistant and insect proof liquid and are a regulation height and dear. If you want to attach the extension poly overhead then get a long angled steel plate  and rawl bolt it to the brick building. It must be high enough so that a large lorry can pass through. I have sen this before at a farm and one night the farmer coming back in his high loader forgot to lower it and took down the cable and part of his outbuilding wall.

0 Ratings
etrol
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Thank you both for the replies

Seems at least its possible so I will proceed with an application

0 Ratings
rhyds
Expert
Message 10 of 10

One thing I will suggest you do is make sure that any underground cable you run is top notch quality. You really don't want to have to get it out again!

0 Ratings