Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jasonboy122
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Moved Home Now Charged £130 engineer charge

hi guys

i moved my broadband phone and mobile to my new address with BT

was initially told I needed a new phone line and may get charged £130 for an engineer to call and install a new line

a few days before my service went live at my new address I had an email and txt message from BT

saying that an engineer was not required and that I didn't need to wait at home for my service to go live

well anyway my phone service went on a day before my activation day 

and the broadband was on my activation day

so now why have I been charged for an engineer who never did attended my home ??

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Moved Home Now Charged £130 engineer charge

The charge is raised by Openreach for the work needed to provide the connection from the exchange to your house.

This charge is passed to BT Retail, who pass it onto the customer.

That is the standard charge for a new line.

They would only need to visit if the line test showed a fault, once all of the connections has been made.

0 Ratings
jasonboy122
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

So basicly despite them saying that the charge was for engineer to come to my house and install a phone line then tell me it's not needed that I still have to pay the £130 charge ?

If I had known it was going to cost that much just to move home with BT I'd have not renewed with them and gone elsewhere
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

@jasonboy122 wrote:

If I had known it was going to cost that much just to move home with BT I'd have not renewed with them and gone elsewhere

All providers who use Openreach will raise this charge, apart from Virgin Media cable, who use their own network.

BT Retail sometimes offer a reduced price for new customers, as an incentive.

If you move home, and agree to renew your existing contract for 12 or 18 months, you can sometimes negotiate a reduced installation charge.

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

@jasonboy122 wrote:
So basicly despite them saying that the charge was for engineer to come to my house and install a phone line then tell me it's not needed that I still have to pay the £130 charge ?

Yes.

The charge is levied by Openreach if they have to do anything at all to re-connect the line.  That includes connecting it at the roadside cabinet, or at the exchange.

0 Ratings