cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 13

Moved and now speed is horrible

My wife and I just moved into our new place October 31st and had our BT transferred from Devizes to Swindon and now our connection speed is horrible. We cant even get our BT Vision to work properly. All equipment was used at our last place with no faults whatsoever and now we are having issues.

Here are the results I got from that speed test I saw to run.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: Moved and now speed is horrible

Hi,

Sorry to hear that your having problems with your BT Broadband.

You will either be on the ADSLMax (upto 8mbps) service or if your exchange has been BTw 21cn upgraded you maybe on the ADSL2/2+ (upto 12/20mbps) service depending on your line quality and length.

However these upto speeds may not be the speeds you will get as ADSL broadband connections are very dependent on the distance from your property to the exchange and the quality of your line. The further away you are from your local exchange the slower your broadband speed will be.

To enable the community to help you please see the advice below:

Please see Keith's help guide here: Helping forum members to help you, it will go through some checks that are needed for us to help you.

A summary of the checks are:

1a) Is your router/Homehub connected by a BT NTE5 master socket, Adsl Filtered Master Socket or Extension Socket?   Please bear in mind that extension cables and extension sockets can reduce the broadband's performance. If you have an Old LJU master socket then please say.

1b) Have you tried the Test Socket?

2) Can you please run a BT speed test (including IP Profile) http://speedtester.bt.com (not beta version)[Best done with a wired, Ethernet, connection] If the other link doesn't work you can try http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/  Already Done

3) is there any noise on your line. dial 17070 option2 ,called quite line test, from landline phone. should be silent but slight hum normal on cordless phone.

4) please post adsl line statistics 

ADSL Line Statistic Help:

If you have a BT Home Hub like the one below...

Then:

1) Go to http://192.168.1.254 or http://bthomehub.home

2) click Settings

3) Click Advanced Settings

4) Click Broadband

5) Click Connection or sometimes called ADSL (see picture Below)

adslconnection.png

The direct Address is http://bthomehub.home/index.cgi?active_page=9116 (for bthomehub3)

You will need to copy and past all the adsl line statistics ( Including HEC, CRC and FEC errors). You may need to click " More Details"

There are more useful links on Keith's website here: If you have an ADSL connection, please select this link

Don't have a BT Homehub/Voyager?

http://192.168.0.1 for a netgear router and look for ADSL adsl statistics with information like noise margin and line attenuation, connection speed

• http://192.168.2.1 for a belkin router and look for ADSL adsl statistics with information like noise margin and line attenuation, Data Rate

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 13

Have older master socket type. It is the only line from A...

Have older master socket type. It is the only line from ADSL Filter to connection outside. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 13

Have Home Hub 3.0

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Because of your distance from the exchange, under ideal conditions, the maximum speed you are likely to get would be 2560Kbs, which is too slow for BT Vision.

So unless your area is expecting to have Infinity installed, there is nothing you can do.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 13

Thanks,

With a line attenution of 59.7dB your landline is approx 4.3km long from your property to your local exchange.

With a line attenuation of 59dB I would have estimated a speed between 2mb to 2.6mb on AdslMax (G.992.1) for a good quality line.

Your current sync rate (the connection rate between your homehub and the exchange) is 1.875mbps. Your noise margin (snr) is good at a snr of 6.5dB.

1) is the homehub connected to the old LJU master socket by just a microfilter (ie no extension cables)

2) what other appliences do you have connected to the master socket?

3) what was the outcome of the quite line test?

Also as Keith has said due to your distance from the exchange to your property your BT Vision service may not work properly as BT Retail states the minimum speed needed is 2mb.

Cheers

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 13

So since I cannot get the proper service supplied to me, wouldnt this allow me to get out of my contract with BT per their terms and conditions? I do not want to upgrade to infinity service and I should not have to pay for Vision if I cannot even use it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 13

1) Home Hub connected directly to Master socket by JUST the filter and the phone connected into the filter

2) No other appliances are connected to socket at all

3) quite line test?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 9 of 13

The quite line test is step 3 in my first post I posted on this thread.

" 3) is there any noise on your line. Dial 17070 option2 ,called quite line test, from landline phone. Should be silent but slight hum normal on cordless phone. "

You will need to dial 17070 from your landline phone (best a corded phone) and listen for about 2 minutes to see if your hear any crackling, pops, or distinctive noise. However a slight dull hum on a cordless phone is normal.

Cheers

Try a Search
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

You should be able to opt out of BT Vision, but unless you cannot get a broadband connection at all, then your broadband contract would still stand.

BT would have said that you would get up to 8Mb, which is what you are getting. There are plenty of people on this forum with much lower speeds than yours.

If you are in an Infinity enabled area, then BT will normally upgrade your connection for the same price, as they have been sending letters out to people with that offer.

0 Ratings