cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 32

Re: Moved from 21CN WBC to ADSL Max without prior notice?

Go to solution
Sorry but your pppoa time is only 32 hrs which is your internet connection. And that is why your banding has not yet released. The system uptime is the length of time your router has been powered up not necessarily connected to the internet This could be a line problem causing the Internet drops but is stopping the banding releasing

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 32

Go to solution

Also if it is correct that my connection keeps dropping (Ive not noticed this- what I have noticed is a 66% drop in connection speed and a quadrupling of the noise margin) then surely that IS an issue!

I will not turn off the wifi myself (confoscate the kids devices overnight); we will keep our wifi channel on;  and I will look at LAN stats in the morning given that the desktop will be switched off overnight.

But- based on usage/ activity over the last week- I can foresee the stats saying Ive only used the internet for 30 hours when the router has been connected for 130 hours in 6 days time.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 32

Go to solution

If in 6 days time the stats still say I have only been connected to internet for a proportion of the time I have been i.e. the connection has been dropping- how do I get this situation rectified?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 32

Go to solution
Your router could drop connection anytime not necessarily when you are using it. You could be out or during the night when it happens so unless you checked you would never know

The banding is normally imposed after your connection has been dropping often in a short space of time. I posted a link previously about banded profile

If you cannot get a stable connection then need to looks at connection and possible interference or line noise and if nothing then an engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 32

Go to solution
Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 32

Go to solution

Hi

tried that but basically line is quiet other than slight very feint buzzing in far background.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 32

Go to solution

any line noise can be a problem for your broadband - like trying to talk in a room full of people to someone on otherside of room

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 32

Go to solution

OK!

After

(1) a phone line engineer visit (who checked line and copper cable and changed the master socket to an open reach internal adsl filter) the cost of which has ben added to the next bill ; (2) buying replacement for all cables (ADSL and ethernet); buying a replacement router-modem

= I am £250 quid to the south.

Pasted below are the figures after over 120 hours of continuous signal (5 straight days)- the signal dropping seemed to be solved with the new modem. But the terrible slow speed- a third of what it was for 18 months- continues.

The phone line enginner said- as he looked at the exchange accross the courtyard over the wall less than 25 metres away- that I should be getting a much better signal than 5.9mbps...

System Up Time 124:19:58
PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollisionsTx B/sRx B/sUp Time
WANPPPoA5064732864841126020852222124:18:20
LAN11000M/Full9503076778656830010727382797700:35:56
LAN2Link down
LAN3Link down
LAN4Link down
WLAN b/g/n--------------
WLAN a/n/ac867M43015532485502041096342026:35:03

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Link Rate6656 Kbps1279 Kbps
Line Attenuation12.0 dB7.7 dB
Noise Margin26.6 dB6.9 dB
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 32

Go to solution

Due to your previous disconnections you are still in a banded profile. As you have 3+ days mods will help get you out banding and will post a contact us link. 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 20 of 32

Go to solution

Hirjs200,

Your noise margin looks very high, please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll be happy to help. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings