cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 32

Re: Moved from 21CN WBC to ADSL Max without prior notice?

Go to solution

Open Reach BB engineer came to property today- After Open Reach phone engineer said phone was fine but signal was much less than should be received I arranged for a specific BB appointment.

Here are the new figures

System Up Time 141:55:23
PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollisionsTx B/sRx B/sUp Time
WANPPPoA111311800460255300:05:01
LAN11000M/Full11568427596776249056329459418:11:21
LAN2Link down
LAN3Link down
LAN4Link down
WLAN b/g/n--------------
WLAN a/n/ac867M492166427847250547229144:10:28

ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Link Rate19208 Kbps1270 Kbps
Line Attenuation12.5 dB7.7 dB
Noise Margin6.0 dB5.7 dB

After the usual preliminaries he simply reset the signal.

He said that this is something that should have been able to have been performed remotely (without the need for either of the two engineer visits) when the problem first occurred almost 5 weeks ago.

As that is the case then I should not be charged for either of these two engineer appointments. Can a mod please give me contact information so I can confirm this with BT and avoid any extra charges on my next bill.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 32

Go to solution

you were stuck in a banded profile and had askewd for mod help who would have reset you connection and got you out the banding hence I would agree you didn't need an engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 32

Go to solution
fully agree with imjolly a total waste of the engineers time when the mods would have done remotely you are very likely to be charged for wasted time
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 32

Go to solution
you had the mods contact information when you used there contact link all you needed to do was wait a couple of days for the mods to have contacted you and arranged the banding release
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 32

Go to solution

If you check this thread Ive been on here for **4 weeks** saying the same thing/ explaining the problem clearly right from the start. All the while receiving an extremely poor level of broadband service below that which I contracted BT to provide.

I have been advised by people here: to wait three days; to wait five days; to do a quiet line test; to request a telephone engineer. Online I have been advised to check the internal wiring.

All of which Ive done.

I have replaced the adsl filters; I have replaced the ethernet cables; I have replaced the modem-router.

As the BB engineer from Open Reach said to me today- its clear that from the very start all that was required was a signal reset! My Broadband connection could have been repaired right from the first time I reported my issue both on here and via the online and telephone contact.

Yet- miraculously, as soon as the fault is remedied- Im told that all I needed to do was ask you lot to get it fixed for me!!!

In which case the question has to be asked: why did you not say this right from the beginning and why did you not get it fixed (as you suggest- now- was possible all along), instead suggesting to me all the other erroneous routes including requesting a phone engineer to check out the phone line....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 32

Go to solution
Phone Engineer on June 1st told me to get a BB engineer in. BT customer service agreed given all the information I gave them.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 32

Go to solution

I told you right at the outset after you posted stats that you were in a banded profile and you neded a stable connection for 3/5 days for banding yo release automatically and speed improve. Problem was you could not get a stable connection for long enough hence the need for an engineer to solve your connection continually dropping. Once that was done you were still in same banded profile and all you needed was a stable connection and then mod help not another engineer visit

If your connection has not been fixed and it is still dropping then you may end back in a banded profile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 32

Go to solution

This is a customer to customer self help forum posts made here do not go to BT although the forum is moderated by BT not every post is read 

I assume you have contacted the mods from thier link posted here on the 10th they would have done the reset for you within a few days of you contacting them without the second engineer being needed

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 32

Go to solution

For the sake of anyone else who ends up in this specific type situation (with this particular issue) it is of assistance to summarise this case. Also- at the end- to identify the obvious lessons.

13th May 22:32

I began the thread with a detailed description of problem/ delineation of the local exchange capacity/ a full signal performance biography (stating that performance was unacceptably impaired at this time for almost two days and impaired prior to that for two weeks)

13th May 22:42

"Can you post the stats from our router? Have you connected to test socket to try and stop the drops in connection"

13th May 22:52

"You are still on adsl2/2+ but due to all the drops in connection and any manual resets you are now in a banded profile and you now need to maintain connection 24/7 for 3/5 days and banding should release automatically"

13th May 22:00

"If you get 5 days stable connection and still no change then post back and we can see if mods can help"

21st May 22:26

"Sorry but the 130 hrs is the uptime for the router but your internet connection time Is only 32+ hrs. You are looking at the wrong uptime. As I said you need a stable internet connection not just the router connected. If you get to 5+ days pppoa time then post stats and see if mods will get you out of banding"

21st May 22:31

"This could be a line problem causing the Internet drops but is stopping the banding releasing"

21st May 22:55

"If you cannot get a stable connection then need to looks at connection and possible interference or line noise and if nothing then an engineer visit"

22nd May 00:14

"Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call"

22nd May 15:34

"any line noise can be a problem for your broadband - like trying to talk in a room full of people to someone on otherside of room"

Phone Engineer was then called as suggested by this forum- appointment on Friday 5th June.

He could find nothing wrong so suggested that the only option left- given the signal strength- would be for me to arrange an Engineer appointment. He did not say anything about the problem being able to be rectified on this forum. This forum at no time prior to this moment had told me that my problem could absolutely be rectified: just that I could 'contact mods' to try and find a solution.

The BB appointment- after a 40 minute call with BT (India)- was made for morning of 11 June.

After BB engineer solved the longstanding problem with a simple reset- and told me that BT should have been able to do this based on my description of the problem- I posted same. Only to be told the following: FOR THE FIRST TIME (the emphasis).

10th June 20:53 Pre second Engineer visit- and with over 120 hours of connection- I posted my latest stats showing the unacceptably impaired signal was still extant

"Your noise margin looks very high, please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll be happy to help. You can find the link by clicking on my username"

11th June 15:01 after BB engineer visit and simple resetting of my connection

"you were stuck in a banded profile and had askewd for mod help who would have reset you connection and got you out the banding hence I would agree you didn't need an engineer visit"

Until this specific post- several weeks after I opened the thread- I was never categorically told my connection would be reset and banding ended- only repeatedly told that I was in banding. The telephone engineer told me to get in a BB engineer.

At this point nobody on here had used the form of words "who would have reset you connection and got you out the banding" = only after the event!

Anyone reading this précis needs to take away the following lessons.

Lessons for punters searching the forum in the future:

1) If you have a signal whose speed has suddenly declined by a significant amount report it here immediately;
2) Do not make an appointment for an phone engineer unless you can hear distinct noise on your line- dont listen to advice based on you thinking you might be hearing some kind of background noise;
3) Do not replace your cables;
4) Check your modem-whose settings it has been reported online can be disrupted/ even corrupted-damaged by a signal change from the exchange or an exchange outage (leading to a dropping connection);

5) Be aware that the enforced low profile can be the cause of the signal instability/ dropping connection as suggested on the internet;
6) Once you have 5 days signal make clear on this forum that you want your connection reset immediately as that is now the only possible explanation- it's nothing to do with anything within the curtilage of your property nor the integrity of your phone line;
7) Do not at any time make an appointment for a BB engineer as this specific problem is as simple to solve as the mods on here contacting the exchange and requiring them to initiate a simple manual reset

Lessons for BT/ this forums mods and sages:

1) Your advice should be clearer (less ambiguous) to punters from the beginning- in your first contact say categorically that you can get a punters connection reset without the need for an engineer site visit;

2) As the BB engineer said: from how I described the problem to him he knew straight away what the problem was. Ditto the mods/ sages of this forum knew also- so mods/ sages should consider contacting exchanges immediately upon viewing threads of this nature in order to organise an remote reset: no need to wait for 5 full days. In my case a simple reset was ALL that was required !

Hopefully others can take these lessons onboard.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 32

Go to solution

Unless you can show a stab,e connection for 3+ days it is pointless Manual intervention to get you out a banded profile as within days of an unstable connection you would be back in the banded profile  hence the reason to get stats showing connection was stable and in your case you could not get the required time so you needed an engineer visit to solve the line problem causing the drops in connection

Once this was solved and connection was stable you were referred to mods to get you out the banding

0 Ratings