Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bigkidwithpc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Moved home - Infinity 2 much slower

Go to solution

Hi

Until moving a few weeks ago, I was on Infinity 2 near Maidstone in Kent getting about 60-70Mbps download.  About 6 weeks ago I moved to Sheffield and started receiving the Infinity 2 service a couple of weeks later.  However, I am only getting 12-22Mbps (the measurements were taken at different times of day and using the test socket).  I have looked up the details of my exchange and cabinet (which is FTTC) and was surprised by what it says (see below).  I am about 1.3km from the exchange and about 800 feet (straight line) or 2750 feet (by road) from the cabinet.  I do not understand why the speed should be so much lower than it was in my previous home (especially as the price is the same).  Is this really to be expected?  Also, will the limits below apply to other service providers in the area?

BT.jpg

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Moved home - Infinity 2 much slower

Go to solution

As well as the distance to the cabinet not the exchange, the condition of the line affects speeds. It may be that you have aluminium somewhere in the line which will drastically reduce the speeds. You would be as well going down to Infinity 1.

Other than Virgin, all ISP use the same infrastructure from the exchange to the cabinet to the premises so you will not see any improvement by moving ISP.

Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution
Chances are the line doesn't go the route you think it does and it obviously a lot longer than you imagine it to be.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
SPYCATCHER
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Webby........I was gettinmg Down 13Mbps.....Neighbour directly opposite ( 100ft ) was geting 22 Mbps. Both Infinity1......complained to BT and they sent an Engineer. The Engineer did some tests, scratched his head and told me that my connection to the Box took a very long way round and was near the end of the line. My Neighbour was on a shorter route. Finally off he went and came back about 1 hour later saying.  " Let's check it now. " Result 29Mbps.........he had rerouted me from the Box and made better connections in my wiring.  

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

I think he flanneled you. If you have an overhead line did he re-run the line or if the line runs underground did he dig up the road?

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution
What's your point @skycatcher ?

Very unusual to be re-routed. Probably just changed you to a different, better quality pair.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
skycatcher
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution
This skycatcher is not me.... Can the be 2 people with the same username?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

@skycatcher wrote:
This skycatcher is not me.... Can the be 2 people with the same username?

@WebbyWebby meant to say @SPYCATCHER

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution
Woops 😄
bigkidwithpc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

Is there anyway to confirm the quality of the cabinet to home line?  Does BT publish such information?

0 Ratings