Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SPYCATCHER
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 18

Re: Moved home - Infinity 2 much slower

Go to solution

Webby.........should have gone to Specsavers...!!!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 18

Go to solution

@bigkidwithpc wrote:

Is there anyway to confirm the quality of the cabinet to home line?  Does BT publish such information?

Openreach, not BT Retail look after the lines, and they do not publish information.

Which BT Home hub do you have?

bigkidwithpc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution

I have the HH6 aka the Smart Hub.  It was great in my previous home, with speeds of around 70Mbps.  I assumed that was what everyone on Infinity 2 got! The issue seems to be the speed that the local cabinet and connecting infrastructure is able to go at.  How can BT sell Infinity 2 when they must know many people cannot get the speeds advertised?

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 18

Go to solution

The NotsoSmartHub seems to be a POS ATM.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 18

Go to solution
It's physics.

Your further from your current cab than you were from the previous.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
bigkidwithpc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 18

Go to solution

I have an engineer coming on Monday, but from the look of things there is nothing that he/she will be able to do.  I feel like I have gone back in time several years!

By road, my last home was about 1000 feet from the BT cabinet, whereas my new home is about 2500-3000 feet from its cabinet.  I appreciate the road I am measuring may not be the route the line takes, but assuming it is, then is that difference in distance really going to make the difference I am seeing in speed?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution

See link for speed over distance on a perfect line.

FTTC-speed-distance-graph.png

bigkidwithpc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks, gg.  The graph says I should still be getting better than I am.  However, the Openreach engineer came yesterday and said the house is attached to a cabinet further away than what the database states.  Also, he confirmed that there is aluminium in the link, as an earlier reponse suggested.  So, that's that, I guess!  I will mark this solved but I am very disappointed.  I expected a city like Sheffield to have an up to date telephone infrastructure with additional cabinets or upgraded cables.  I appreciate that would cost money and be disruptive for a while.

0 Ratings