cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Moved into a new property - multiple phone line issues

I have recently moved into a Victorian property and discovered a whole heap of telephony issues.

Multiple phone lines:

I have counted up 7 different telephone sockets in the property. Before I moved in, I had (what I thought was the only) line set up (through Sky, but on a BT line). Only 1 out of the 7 sockets is active (and it isn't a master socket). I have my phone and my broadband router in this socket. I have no idea what the rest of the sockets are connected to, if anything.

There are also what seen to be 3-4 junction boxes around (blank covers) which seem to be for telephony.

Slow Internet:

My broadband is really slow and Sky won't do anything further to remedy it unless it is plugged into a master socket.

Solutions:

I almost want to start again with the house and rip everything out, but clearly this would cost me a small fortune.

Has anyone got any suggestions for good next steps?

Joe Hayward

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Moved into a new property - multiple phone line issues

Not a lot you can do apart from have it all re-wired.

Who do you pay for your line rental and phone calls?

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 4

Find the main socket and rip everything out after this point. Its what id do.

Are you fed from a pole? or are there wires coming from underground. Trace the wires back until you find the first socket the wires go into. They may go into a small joint box first. You might have to open them up and see where the wires lead.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 4

Be carefull of back and star wiring, houses that pre-date the 1950's always seem to have the most over complicated and messed up wiring systems I have come across.

0 Ratings