cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lobbylin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Moved to Bt Infinity HomeHub 5, but CCTV dvr connection 'Fails to connect'

Just moved from TalkTalk to Bt Infinity Home Hub 5 and everything is working fine on set up except our home CCTV which we access remotely via a DDNS link-up.  

The CCTV system (via DVR) was set up by our home alarm engineer, so I could contact them and ask for help on how to set it up again, but am hoping it is something more simple that I can do myself by accessing the Hub Manager rather than paying a call out fee.

My computer skills are limited so please don't talk too technical....   I have done some internet searching and think I need to locate a MAC address for the DVR?  If so, when I check my network I can see there are 2 Ethernet connections into the router, one of which is our standalone computer and the only other Ethernet cable is the cable to the DVR, so by default I think I have established the DVR MAC code....  Everything looked nice and easy until my hubby set up his sky box and now I seem to have loads of MAC codes showing... But to the best of my knowledge they should not be showing under the Ethernet connections and are the ones appearing under the wireless connections along with our iPads.

Can anyone help with some simple instructions on how I link up the DVR so we can access the CCTV remotely again. At the moment all I get is 'failed to connect' when we click on the Netguard viewer app?

thanks!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Moved to Bt Infinity HomeHub 5, but CCTV dvr connection 'Fails to connect'

There are a couple of pages that should help, your DVR may also be listed.

CCTV and IP cameras - port forwarding

and a general page about port forwarding

Port forwarding problems

0 Ratings
Lobbylin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

I can see I need to set up port forwarding. Unfortunately the link given does not cover our DVR brand.

i also found this useful link http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/networking/winvpn.html. Would you agree the instructions here are what I need to do?  It looks like I need to set up a VPN?  (Don't really know what that is) and then link that to my Port number.

where might I find the port number details?  Sorry to sound so stupid!

thanks

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

No, a VPN is not needed. The nearest example of a CCTV is for a HH4, which is the same as a HH5.

http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/hardware/cctv/foscam/foscam.html

Otherwise you will just have to follow my guide about port forwarding, which also links to the BT help page.

Which DVR do you have?

Also, its unlikely to work without changing the IP subnet, as the home hub is on a different subnet to a Sky router. Its going to be fairly complicated, but you could always try.

0 Ratings
Lobbylin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

We have this DVR 

http://www.dynamic-cctv.com/support/PDF/Guides/EZHD-Setup%20Guide.pdf

I'd prefer not to have to access the DVR as it is in the loft!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

If the network settings on the DVR have been set to DHCP, then you may avoid having to alter anything. MAC addresses do not work properly on the home hub, as it uses IP addresses instead.

You would have to look in the home hub DHCP table, and locate the IP address of the DVR, then tick the option to always use the same IP address.

Then on the port forwarding assignment, used the advanced settings which allows you to specify an IP address. Then enter the IP address of the DVR.

If it does not appear in the DHCP table, the the DVR must have been configured for a static IP address, in which case, you would have no options but to alter the settings.

The home hubs work best with static LAN IP addresses assigned.

0 Ratings
Lobbylin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Sorry to take up so much of your time, I appreciate your help.

Where do I find the home hub DHCP table?  Don't really know what that is.

i can access the home hub network where I can see the Ethernet connection (to what I think is our DVR) and there I can see the MAC code and IP address...

I will go an log into the home hub manager advanced settings and I am guessing I will need to set up the DVR device using the instructions and settings you have just given 

I will have a go at that later this morning and report back.

thanks again... 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

I do not have a HH5, but a DHCP table was mentioned elsewhere.

It does not matter, if you can see the DVR IP address. It appears that it uses port 80 (http), so there is a predefined application in the home hub already. Its probably called "web server" or similar.

You siimply assign that application to the IP address of the DVR, and hope the IP address does not change.

There must be an option somewhere in the HH5, to "always use this IP address"

Perhaps another forum member with a HH5, can point where it is?

0 Ratings
Lobbylin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

When I go into the home hub 5 manager I can see the DVR listed in my devices as an Ethernet connection and it is showing as 'static', which is probably when, when I click on the DCHP table it is not showing on the list of devices.  I don't really understand the significance of this other than it is stopping it working!

i have gone into the firewall and on port forwarding, I have set up th DVR as a 'web server' application and increased the port range to 80-81 as when I look at my CCTV viewer app, it refers to port 81.

i am at a loss on what to do next if anyone can help.... instruction need to be SIMPLE! Lol

thanks

0 Ratings
Lobbylin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

I should add that when I click on the device called DVR and is states the IP address is static. There is a choice of use static IP address or no, but it won't let me click YES here, it just stays on NO.

0 Ratings