cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cepenpark
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Moved to house with Virgin Media

My son has BT Broadband and arranged a house move with BT. Initially they had an Engineer visit but this was changed to remote switch. On making the move they found the socket was labelled Virgin Media with no BT socket. There is no dial tone and the Hub flashes red. BT did a test and said there was an external problem to be fixed. The Hub has gone blue occasionally but back to flashing red.
Does the socket need replacing with a BT one? And is it connected to the Openreach line or perhaps a Cable line?
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Cepenpark
Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Moved to house with Virgin Media

Second BT socket found in kitchen away from Virgin one in lounge. Still inactive but may be outside fault, under investigation. Still interested if anyone has experience of moving from Virgin back to BT.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 3 of 11

It wasn't unheard off, when people went to cable company's for their phone service , for the cable company installer to remove the 'BT' wiring and socket, or even the customer may have decided that they were never going to use BT again, so remove all the BT wiring...this obviously causes a problem if a new  person moves in and wants to use a company that delivers their service over Openreach 'lines'.

In a situations where records indicate a line exists ( obviously they cannot know if the line has been  'removed' ) an engineer visit isn't required, but they test the line , and if it looks 'faulty' they send an engineer out to see why it doesn't test the way it should, sometimes though this doesn't happen and the customer has to report the line 'faulty' , ensuring the company know that it is a new customer fault , in other words from this customers point of view, the line has never worked.

When an engineer calls , they  should reinstate what was removed, the only potential problem is if the property is fed via an underground cable, and the original OR cable was cut so short that it cannot be easily repaired , the installer may have to pass the job to another group to replace the cable 

NeilO
Message 4 of 11

@Cepenpark  Is there a dial tone if you connect to the BT test socket?

test socket.jpg

0 Ratings
Cepenpark
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

I'll ask my daughter in law. She may not be sure of doing it 😊. I'm 40 miles away.
0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 6 of 11

@Cepenpark no problem, post back and let us know how she gets on?

0 Ratings
Cepenpark
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

She's done it and no dial tone in the test socket. My son's on deployment for 6 weeks so she's on her own.
0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 8 of 11

@Cepenpark that would indicate it to be a line/network fault.  Has she been given an estimated repair date yet?

0 Ratings
Cepenpark
Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Yes. Fault was raised Friday with 48 hour estimate. Now say by Wednesday 6pm. Too late for son as he's then in field for 5 weeks and out of contact.
0 Ratings
Cepenpark
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Does the Virgin socket usurp any incoming old cabling or use its own cabling so the old BT socket may still be usable?
0 Ratings