cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amader
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Moving BT master socket after BT Infinity broadband is installed

I had BT Infinity broadband installed some time ago with the BT master socket on the ground floor of my house and the BT Openreach modem situated three floors up with my computer equipment.  The two are connected with an 11 metre data cable.  I now realise that this is not the best situation and I would like to have the master socket moved upstairs close to the Openreach modem and the two connected by a much shorter cable.  My question is this:  If I go ahead and order the master socket to be moved, will the BT engineer provide the necessary cable?  What I don't want is for the master socket to be moved and then the engineer saying, "Oh no - I can't supply the cable - you'll have to order that from BT Openreach.", thereby leaving me with no Internet connection.  Does anyone know what happens in such a situation?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Moving BT master socket after BT Infinity broadband is installed

I doubt very much it would make a lot of difference, as 11 metres is small compared with the distance to the cabinet.

You could plug the modem in at the master socket, and see if it is any faster, but I doubt it.

Openreach would charge £130 to move it.

You could leave the modem downstairs, and run an Ethernet cable to the home hub.

0 Ratings
amader
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the reply.  Speed isn't really an issue, but I want the master socket moved because it's in a very vulnerable position in the hallway - easily kicked by a rampant child!  I just want to be sure that the engineer who moves the socket can provide the data cable.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Its unlikely the standard Openreach Field Technician would carry such a cable, but they are readily available online.

Why not have the master socket re-located right next to the computer, then you would not need the data extension cable?

0 Ratings
amader
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Yes, that's what I would like - the socket near to the computer and modem so that a standard cable will do the job.  I know I can buy the cable online, but I'm confused about the cable type and plugs.  I thinl it's RJ11 to RJ11 (both male).

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

If its right next to the computer, then just use an Ethernet cable to connect the home hub directly to the computer. That is simply a normal RJ42 cable with a connector each end, very cheap and readily available.

As you will be paying for the shift, they should move to wherever you want, as long as its possible to do so.

0 Ratings
amader
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

I've done some more research on this and I think that I need a cable with RJ45 to RJ11 plugs (RJ45 at the master socket end and RJ11 at the Openreach modem end).  Does this sound right?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

If the modem and master socket are in the same room as the computer, then you do not need any extra cables, as the existing lead from the modem will simply plug into the master socket.

0 Ratings