cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Moving Home to BT Infinity Enabled Area. Not Confident BT Can Do The Job

We are moving home in approx 11days time. Currently with BT on ADSL as exchange is not fibre enabled. New place IS fibre enabled. The property is almost new. Two previous owners both of whom had fibre with Plusnet so am not worried about availability. What I am worried about is BT's ability to move us and get us online in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm out of contract so I could just cancel with BT and go with Sky, Plusnet, TalkTalk etc and I am thinking this may well be the quickest way to get online. I work from home and my business depends on being connected so I can't afford to be offline for weeks on end.

We do not need to take our current number with us, we never use the home phone anyway. We do have the basic BT YouView package which to be honest is pretty rubbish so also not bothered about losing that. All in all there isn't actually anything to move apart from our account and to upgrade to fibre.

Question is, would I be online quicker with a new provider than if I stayed with BT? Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Saul

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Moving Home to BT Infinity Enabled Area. Not Confident BT Can Do The Job

as all the ISPs will use openreach for the installation/conenction then waiting time should be the same  if property had fibre already then you should not need an engineer visit to your home just the engineer to link you at cabinet

so it is not time it actually takes to conenct you more the queue you join before you get engineer to conenct you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for that.

The problem now is how do we order BT Infinity when there is no phone number as of yet to attach it to? OR would it be easier to transfer the number we have? Got to say I don't have a lot of confidence in all this. Things really should be a lot simpler in 2015!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

as you work from home and you rely on your connection I would suggest a BT Business line as using BT Residential lines for business is a breach of the terms and conditions of use
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Yeah nice try. A BT "business" line is an excuse to fleece customers. It provides nothing that a residential line doesn't apart from a higher price and possibly less contention but given this is fibre contention should not really be an issue.

I am one person working for myself just the same as thousands of others, most of whom do not have a "business" line.

Perhaps you would like to explain why I should "need" a business line when a residential unlimited connection will do just fine?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

With business you get a better service level agreement - faults fixed faster - whereas residential is 3 working days after day of notification. If that makes no difference to your business being without phone and Internet for that time then ok. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

3 days I can live with, it's "weeks" that would cause an issue!

Plenty of cafe's and free wi-fi close by but of course don't want to be doing that every day.

Anyway, took a chance and went ahead with the home move thing. Engineer booked for the day after we move in so if everything goes to place we should be up and running pretty quickly. Will update this post either way.

atb

Saul

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

This is from their Terms and conditions

Using the service
You must not use the service for any commercial or business purpose whatsoever unless we have given you permission to do so. If we find that you are using the service in for business or commercial purposes we reserve the right to limit or terminate the service immediately.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

I swiched from TT , ADSL  to BT.Firbre.  Guarunteed I did not move home but the switch was easy painless and no break in service. I too was anxious not to lose service . But it was brilliant 

I connect Wired & wireless. I connect directly to a Master Socket.(MS) I have no internal wires to test. I use no external filters as not needed with MK3 MS. I do not have a phone to test noise on the line. My home is 200m from my cabinet.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

You obviously have led a very sheltered life if your so pedantic about any t&c's

Suffice to say they they can be placed somewhere the sun never shines.

0 Ratings