cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Moving Home

Hello.

I am currently nearly a year into a BT Infinity contract which consists of Infinity Broadband, TV and Telephone.

In six weeks I am moving out of my current property and back into my parents for an indefinite period of time whilst I save for a house deposit and then buy a place of my own. 

I believe the BT package I have is an 18 month or 24 month contract.

As I am moving to a property which already has BT infinity, TV and broadband and of course I won't be the bill payer at the new property - will BT still charge me for the remaining months or will I be allowed to leave without charge due to my circumstances of not being able to take the package with me?

Appreciate the advice. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Moving Home

The only way that BT will let you off is if they cannot supply you with phone and broadband at the new address.  Since that's not the case, they will charge you the early termination fee.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

How much is this fee? Or is it different per contract?

Also, I assume I can transfer the account name over to someone else should they wish to take on the contract at their property? i.e. joint tenant who is also moving out of the current home.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Its not possible to transfer a contract, as its the responsibility of the person who started it.

Cancellation charges are shown here.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the reply, seems somewhat unfair, but thank you for the information.

Do you know whether I can remove TV packages such as HD extra, Kids and Entertainment from my TV package to bring down the monthly cost until such a time as I cancel?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

You can remove them but the same applies as your broadband package, you will have to pay for terminating the contract for them early unless they are on a monthly contract.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

It would depend on what the minimum term for each package is. You may have agreed to a special lower price which included all of those services.

If you would like to try Live Chat they may be able to help you.

These types of contract are quite normal for Service Providers, so they can recoup their costs over the period of the contract.

0 Ratings