cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Charles12
Message 1 of 6

Moving Infinity Home Hub

We currently have our BT Home Hub (Infinity) plugged into a socket upstairs. We are having building work done and need to move the hub downstairs. I wasn't around when the engineer installed the Hub, but I believe they have to change the socket in some way for Infinity? Is it as simple as unscrewing the new socket and attaching to another phone point downstairs? Or will we need to call a BT engineer out? I've been reading about Master sockets and extensions but not completely sure what they mean.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Moving Infinity Home Hub

where is the modem?
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 6

Are you sure you are on Infinity (FTTC)?  For Infinity,

- the master socket is the one with two sockets on the front (standard UK phone and RJ-11)

- the modem (white) should be plugged into the master socket

- the HomeHub (black) should be plugged into the modem with ethernet cable (possibly red)

You can move the HomeHub whereever is convenient, you just need a longer ethernet cable to connect it to the modem.

Moving the modem is a little trickier.  It must still be plugged into the master socket, but the type of cable is much more important as otherwise you can get extra noise and slower speeds.  Standard telephone extension cable will probably connect and work, but won't work well.

You cannot legally move the master yourself; you must get Openreach in.

0 Ratings
Charles12
Message 4 of 6

Do you know if it will cost to get Openreach to move the socket? It will not be possible to keep the modem plugged in to the current one once the building work starts.

0 Ratings
swaber
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

seeing as theres nothing wrong with the socket and you are requesting the socket to be moved i should imagine there will be a charge for it

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 6

You will need to move the White Modem, which plugs into a phone socket master or extension. Then follow the same procedure how the hub and modem are connected with a 100mbps ethernet cable and power source for the hub/modem.

If moving it is just temporary it will be fine to plug into the extension socket until fixed, though you may see decreased speeds until moved back into the master socket but if you want the Modem and Hub to be permanent to the new phone socket I would suggest getting an engineer out to make it the master socket, remember this will cost though. You cannot get a 3rd party company to move it as the phone socket is Openreach’s property. 

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings