cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnW4
Message 1 of 6

Moving an overhead telegraph wire

I am having a loft conversion done which alters the roof line. There is a telegraph wire running from the pole in front of my house (not on my property) to a house behind. On my first call to BT I was told it would cost £126 to move it and I was asked if I required an appointment to be set up. I had been told by a number of builders that there is no charge for this so I called BT again and was advised that the initial information was incorrect and that I would need to give my contact number for a BT engineer to call and inspect the site. I asked if there would be a charge for the removal but the operative did not know.

Can any body tell me if there is a charge and how much it will be? I'd also like to know whether the neighbours have to agree to the alteration.

Thank you 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Moving an overhead telegraph wire

0 Ratings
JohnW4
Message 3 of 6

It's the neighbours wire which goes over my house which I need removing so that link doesn't help.

Thanks anyway

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

it is Openreach that need to be contacted regarding the moving of the line that is what the link was pointing to
0 Ratings
JohnW4
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for replying.

It's Openreach who I contacted twice. As they wouldn't give me an idea of whether I would have to pay or not I wondered whether anyone had any experience of this.

I'd also like to know whether my neighbour has to accept the line entering his house at a different point.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

it would be your neighbours service provider that would need to contact openreach as it his /her line that is being moved you really need to talk with your neighbours not just move there line without any consultation
0 Ratings