cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 9

Moving connection from one cabinet to another?

I was wondering if it were possible to move cabinets to avail of BT infinity. I am on a cabinet that only gets me around 3mb whereas my neighbour 300m up the road gets BT infinity 2 at 70mb but he is on a different cabinet, although we both feed back to the same exchange.

Looking forward to a reply

David

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Moving connection from one cabinet to another?

Short answer - no

Think of the chaos if that was allowed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

even if it was possible it would be prohibitively expensive as you would not be moving one pair of cables you may need to reroute hundreds of pairs
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

What about provisioning a new phone line?  There are 2 telegraph poles outside my house - one goes to a cabinet 200 yards away and the other to a cabinet 3 miles away.  Guess which one I'm connected to?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

if you get a new phoneline then openreach will decide which pole/cabinet you will be connected to

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Is there any way that I can influence which pole openreach would connect me to?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

no not even with tea and choccy biscuits

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

Yes really strange that you can have a cabinet 10 metres from you rhouse yet you are connected to a cabinet nowhere close (miles in your case and half a mile in my case). As has been said there does not appear to be anything you can do about it. Just think of the Open Reach engineer trying to resolve a problem on the line - surely it woulf be better to use the closer cabinet?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Pity.  I'd pay for a 2nd phone line just to be connected to the other cabinet 😞

0 Ratings