Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 18

Re: Moving from BT due to price increase

They can leave the contract and "they must not be worse off for having entered the contract"  but I think you will find that they must pay for what they have used of the contract prior to the change. ie any rental, call costs or equipment costs etc up to the point that the contract changed, other wise it would mean that every penny would need to be refunded to the customer back to the start date of the contract.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 18

Getting stroppy didn't work. I had an even stroppier adviser when I rang; talked over me and kept repeating parrot-fashion that I had to pay £55 for the hub if I leave before my contract ends. End of story. I asked to speak to her manager but he was busy.

I gave up. I will wait out the extra 2 months just to be finally free of BT forever. And as the contract will have ended I shan't even have to phone them to cancel.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 18

@Sigh wrote:

I gave up. I will wait out the extra 2 months just to be finally free of BT forever. And as the contract will have ended I shan't even have to phone them to cancel.

Yes you will or they will keep billing you. You will need to move to another ISP and use the correct procedure or you will end up in a world of hurt trying to get billing, credit rating etc sorted out.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 18

I should have said that I will be switching to another provider. Isn't it the case that if I don't have a current contract with BT,  I need only register with the new provider and they will do everything necessary?

I do hope this isn't going to be another "Escape from Colditz" saga. The thought of having to phone BT again fills me with dread.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 18

@Sigh wrote:

I should have said that I will be switching to another provider. Isn't it the case that if I don't have a current contract with BT,  I need only register with the new provider and they will do everything necessary?

You did not say you were moving to another ISP, that is why I said "You will need to move to another ISP and use the correct procedure or you will end up in a world of hurt trying to get billing, credit rating etc sorted out"

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 18

Thanks. I'm trying to determine what the "correct procedure" is for leaving BT. I've scoured the BT web site but can't find anything definitive. Could anyone provide a link to the specific procedure?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 18

The correct procedure now is as you have said. You contact the provider that you are moving to and they should take care of everything else such as notifiying your "old" provider.

See link

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/guides/switch/

If you had done as it appeared you were going to do by not informing BT that you were cancelling and you were not going to another privider you would have been liable for "cease charges". 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 18

Many thanks for the helpful and welcome link.

As this is hopefully my last post to the forums, I would like to thank the mods and others for being so helpful. I know there are some first class people working for BT, it's just a pity that the organisation as a whole has so many failings.

As an afterthought, it occurred to me that BT's territorial disputes with Sky are akin to a medieval war, the cost of  which is borne by piling taxes on the general populace (BT subscribers). Battles are the eyewateringly expensive ad campaigns. At least we can opt out.

0 Ratings