cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 23

Re: Moving from SKY

Go to solution

There is no problem asking SKY for a MAC code, then let BT decide if its needed.

But if its LLU and you are bringing the line back, I don't believe its required.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 23

Go to solution

@Meteosat wrote:

Line is still BT, line rental is BT call package currently Anytime is BT - the only SKY part is the BB and it is LLU and has been for a couple of years.

Cheers

In that case you should not need the MAC code, if it is LLU:

http://www.maccode.org.uk/switch-broadband/llu-and-switching/

You should only need it if you were on SKY Connect.

toekneem

(EASBF)

Sage
Sage
Message 13 of 23

Go to solution

The last lne in the link you provided says it all Tony.

"Hence it is always better to consult both the provider that you are leaving, and your new provider on which process to follow and finalise the switching process."

0 Ratings
Meteosat
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 23

Go to solution

I'll go on that basis - if I run into problems though I know where to find you ;-))

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 23

Go to solution

@Meteosat wrote:

I'll go on that basis - if I run into problems though I know where to find you ;-))

Hurry up then, I'm moving next weekSmiley Very Happy

anyway, hope the Infinity install goes well for you, it should.

Remember as you are coming from SKY,if you use torrents (p2p) then they are throttled during peak hours, anything else is okay.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Meteosat
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 23

Go to solution
Ta nicely again - hope your move goes well - wonder how long before you get the BB running 😉
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 23

Go to solution

@Meteosat wrote:
Ta nicely again - hope your move goes well - wonder how long before you get the BB running 😉

That was a porky pieSmiley Wink

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Meteosat
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 23

Go to solution
doh!
0 Ratings
seab20
Expert
Message 19 of 23

Go to solution

You need a Mac code when switching broadband provider but not line rental provider, if you had sky for phone and broadband then you would not need one, but would also be without broadband for about a week after the line rental changes. In your situation you do need a Mac code, I was in exactly the same position as you, BT for line rental, Sky for broadband and I was on LLU not connect. They can provide you with one instantly though just get on the phone.

Also you will not be disconnected from sky until your installation date so don't worry about that, in fact that is the reason for Mac codes, basically they just give permission for openreach to unplug your from sky and back into bt, and also allows a hassle free switch as your sky service ends immediately when its switched so no problems with billing etc.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 23

Go to solution

@seab20 wrote:

You need a Mac code when switching broadband provider but not line rental provider, if you had sky for phone and broadband then you would not need one, but would also be without broadband for about a week after the line rental changes. In your situation you do need a Mac code, I was in exactly the same position as you, BT for line rental, Sky for broadband and I was on LLU not connect. They can provide you with one instantly though just get on the phone.

Also you will not be disconnected from sky until your installation date so don't worry about that, in fact that is the reason for Mac codes, basically they just give permission for openreach to unplug your from sky and back into bt, and also allows a hassle free switch as your sky service ends immediately when its switched so no problems with billing etc.

This was copied and pasted straight from Ofcom's site:

However, there are some circumstances where the losing broadband supplier can refuse to provide a MAC. These are:

•    the broadband supplier cannot confirm they are dealing with the named account holder
•    the broadband service has already been disconnected or in the process of being disconnected
•    the broadband supplier has already issued a MAC and it is still valid
•    the broadband supplier is unable to obtain the MAC from their own supplier
•    the broadband service is supplied through a full Local Loop Unbundling package

If any of the above apply to your particular service, your broadband supplier must make this clear to you.

Where the MAC process does not apply, the losing broadband supplier should make arrangements for the ‘tag’ to be removed from the line. This should be done within 10 working days and will allow you to have services with the provider of your choice.

Maybe there is still some confusion???

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings