Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AikenDrum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Moving from silver box to youview - a couple of questions

Go to solution
Hi,

I've got the offer from BT to get a new youview box to replace my old silver box. I am tempted to signup for an 18 month contract, but I have a couple of questions before I do:

1) What is the accuracy of the recordings like? I know that in the early days, some people complained of recordings being cut short. This would drive me crazy, as my current silver box never does this.

2) If I signup, am I guaranteed to get the new t2100 model? I wouldn't like to signup to an 18 month contract and then be stuck with the older t1000 model.

Any help with these questions would be gratefully received.

Thanks
0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
stuartrogerson
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 26

Re: Moving from silver box to youview - a couple of questions

Go to solution
On the whole I find very few problems with recordings only occasionally does a station fail in its use of the dynamic EPG (that tends to be more the repeat recordings on five).

As far as I know the G4 box is now standard issue.
Check when you order and if it fails to materialise then we can get help for you here.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 26

Go to solution

I had the offer of an 18month contract with no installation/setup fee (£35) but opted for a 12month contract & paid the £35 fee.

I ordered on the phone & questioned several times that I'd get the new YV box , doing this as a precaution.

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 26

Go to solution

I will have to see if they offer me the 12 month contract when I phone up.  It could save me a fortune over an 18 month one.  I'm currently on two discounted offers that run out in March 2015, and really don't want to be stuck paying full price for everything for an extra 7 months.

0 Ratings
AikenDrum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution

OK, thanks for the replies.

I've decided to take the plunge and have signed up to another 18 month contract.  I was assured that I would get the new G4 box, as this was the only one that they sent out now.

Delivery is in a couple of days time (24th April), so I'll wait and see.....

0 Ratings
AikenDrum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution
Well that's interesting!

Just got a call from a project manager at BT, who said that they had been monitoring the calls placed for this offer. He said that the operator who dealt with my call had got it wrong and that they send out the older model boxes as standard. However he went on to say that because I had specifically asked for the new model, they would send me this one instead! (he did suggest that there was very little difference between the two, but was happy to offer me the new one if I wanted it).

So, although they made a boo-boo, full marks to BT for sorting it out so swiftly, and without any prompting.

First box should arrive tomorrow, but he said to keep it unopened, and just send it back using the returns bag that would also be sent with the re-ordered box that should arrive on Friday!

Will keep you posted.....
0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution

Check the returns bag AikenDrum, it may have the address of the next customer on it. Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
cherkhan
Expert
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution

The box you will receive is a 'returned unopened??/reconditioned box'. The previous model NOT the G4.

Dispite it all being 'free' the email clearly states a 'BRAND NEW YouView Box, which they are most definitly not. Had a lengthy converstaion with the BT lady (Scottish) over the cancellation but I am afraid New means NEW, not returned or reconditioned.

Personally, I would rather pay the min subscription and activation fee but already have Sky so no real reason for me to bother with the upgrade.

Took screenshots of the original order and what MyBT says will arrive.

Personally, not at all happy, I thought something for nothing was TOO good to be true.............and it was. Thanks to 'Umpire' for the heads up over the 'MyBT' check. Shoddy 'play on wors' with brand new I think.

BT certainly do themselves no favours do they when they carry out such poor customer relations.

ney
Expert
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution

Hope you do get the newer box for back in January when I upgraded from the BT Unlimited player to the BT Entertanment with some bolt ons. I had to get a BT YouView box as I was using a retail one and BT sent me the black V+ box that I had never asked for or wanted. After 8 or 9 mins on phone. They said it was a mistake at there end and sent me out the old style BT YouView box and I had to send the black V+ box back. Yet the new G4 box had just come out that same week.

I have been 99% happy with the BT TV service since I upgraded.

Darren

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution

For what it's worth, the letter I've been sent shows the old model of YouView box, not the new one.  They still seem to think it's worth £199, though!

0 Ratings