Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Angedup
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 26

Re: Moving from silver box to youview - a couple of questions

Go to solution
I received a reconditioned old model today. Have called and cancelled contract.

In my view, NEW 18 month contract should come with a NEW model box!
0 Ratings
MartinSW
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 26

Go to solution
How much did you pay for the box?
0 Ratings
Angedup
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 26

Go to solution
Nothing as this was the deal in the email with silver box ceasing to work in June

We want to ensure that you continue to receive a great service. As one of our loyal TV customers, we'd like to offer you a brand new YouView+ box (it's worth £199) to replace your current set-top box. It's yours at no extra cost when you renew your BT Broadband and TV contract for 18 months. Your current BT TV service will be switched off on 30 June.

What you get with your YouView+ box
With your new box you'll be able to record your favourite shows and scroll back through the TV programmes you've missed over the past seven days. You can pause and skip live telly, and enjoy loads of other new features.

It's easy to set-up and use, and the box will automatically update itself so you've always got the latest features.
0 Ratings
MartinSW
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 26

Go to solution
So you got a £199 replacement for an obsolete box which was no longer in contract for free and you're still unhappy?
0 Ratings
Angedup
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 26

Go to solution
You must work for bt

A) I AM in a contract for TV services - in fact, I renewed it only 3.5 weeks ago, along with broadband
B) new customers do not pay £199 for the box. At most, they pay a £35 activation fee
C) why would I want an old box when new ones are offered to other customers signing up for as little as 12 months?
D) please suggest how the matter be resolved
E) do you work for BT
0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 26

Go to solution

Just because someone doesn't agree with you does not mean they work for BT. We are all customers jut like you here. The people who occasionally do speak here for BT are the Mods and it is clear who they are. The only difference between the older box and the new one is that it has a slightly faster interface. There are no new features on it.

MartinSW
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 26

Go to solution

@Angedup wrote:
You must work for bt

A) I AM in a contract for TV services - in fact, I renewed it only 3.5 weeks ago, along with broadband
B) new customers do not pay £199 for the box. At most, they pay a £35 activation fee
C) why would I want an old box when new ones are offered to other customers signing up for as little as 12 months?
D) please suggest how the matter be resolved
E) do you work for BT

A & C) If you renewed the contract three weeks ago and getting the latest box was so important for you, why didn't you upgrade to it then? You would have been able to. Anyhow, the new box is very good but it does nothing the old one doesn't, nor will it. 

B) The box is worth £199, that's its retail price and while new customers don't pay that upfront, they do if they cancel early.

D) The options seem to be: either you return the box or accept it and enjoy it

E) No. This is a customer to customer help forum

StewM
Guru
Message 18 of 26

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 19 of 26

Go to solution

I was in John Lewis today and they still had the "old box" on the shelf at around £149. I received one a couple of days ago for the old Silver box and it was brand new. It works fine and has more features. It's actually not a bad deal!

I don't work for BT.

0 Ratings
Angedup
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 26

Go to solution
Fair enough about who works for BT

The point remains though - why try and sign me customers up for an additional 18mths promising the new box if that is not what is being posted out. Why not be honest and say 'as you've been a customer since vision started we,ll offer you the earlier generation box for 'free' with 18mth contract'

I am basing my box preference on the review I've read eg:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/digital-home/3507739/bt-youview-box-review-2014/

"Performance-wise, the DTR-T2100 is leagues better than the old DTR-T1000. It’s fast to navigate through menus, launch on-demand players and browse the EPG. If you hold down a button to skip forward or backwards, the EPG gives up trying to display programme data and quickly scrolls along the time bar. You can skip between days using the rewind and fast forward buttons – a nice touch"
0 Ratings