Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MartinSW
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 26

Re: Moving from silver box to youview - a couple of questions

Go to solution

@Dode wrote:

I was in John Lewis today and they still had the "old box" on the shelf at around £149. I received one a couple of days ago for the old Silver box and it was brand new. It works fine and has more features. It's actually not a bad deal!

I don't work for BT.

Exactly.

I had an old silver box until a few years ago when I moved providers. It was good for its day but the YouView boxes beat it hands down - backwards EPG, full access to 4oD incuding its archive box sets, 3rd party services such as Sky Store and NOW TV, remote record app, plus extra services including BBC Connected Red Button coming later this year.

A year back Vision and Vision+ users were gagging to get one as an upgrade. Struggling to see how getting one is a bad thing.

0 Ratings
MartinSW
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 26

Go to solution

@Angedup wrote:
Fair enough about who works for BT

The point remains though - why try and sign me customers up for an additional 18mths promising the new box if that is not what is being posted out. Why not be honest and say 'as you've been a customer since vision started we,ll offer you the earlier generation box for 'free' with 18mth contract'

I am basing my box preference on the review I've read eg:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/digital-home/3507739/bt-youview-box-review-2014/

"Performance-wise, the DTR-T2100 is leagues better than the old DTR-T1000. It’s fast to navigate through menus, launch on-demand players and browse the EPG. If you hold down a button to skip forward or backwards, the EPG gives up trying to display programme data and quickly scrolls along the time bar. You can skip between days using the rewind and fast forward buttons – a nice touch"

They're not earlier generation boxes, they're differently styled boxes. A box is a different generation if it has features another doesn't - there's no difference in the features offered by the two boxes, there's never likely to be any features on one which isn't on the other.

As for that review, the DTR-T2100 IS a bit faster in the EPG/menus but the EPG skipping is a feature both boxes support.

And refurbished electronics are as good as new, they've been fully checked and tested, have all the accessories and a full warranty.  Indeed, in some cases the refurbs can be better than the 'new' because they've had extra, more recent checks. 

0 Ratings
Angedup
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 26

Go to solution
I used the terminology 'generation' as that is how BT used it with me - G3 etc
They have different feature such as size, speed, energy usage,
http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/features/digital-home/5-reasons-upgrade-bts-youview-box/

I still stand by - I thought I was getting one product with my 18mths contract but it turned out I wasn't. I was mislead by the wording in BTs email to me.
0 Ratings
MartinSW
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 26

Go to solution

@Angedup wrote:
I used the terminology 'generation' as that is how BT used it with me - G3 etc
They have different feature such as size, speed, energy usage,
http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/features/digital-home/5-reasons-upgrade-bts-youview-box/

I still stand by - I thought I was getting one product with my 18mths contract but it turned out I wasn't. I was mislead by the wording in BTs email to me.

Different size isn't a feature that defines a product generation but it's clear you're unhappy both with the product and the views of others on here. Best thing would seem to be that you send it back. Maybe they'll let you pay the £35 for the new box? 

0 Ratings
Angedup
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 26

Go to solution
I have arranged to send it back and no, bizarrely, they wouldn't let me pay £35 activation fee - that is for new customers only I was told.

I will stick for now and check out my other options like sky in June when vision service as it is now, ends.
0 Ratings
tyler
Contributor
Message 26 of 26

Go to solution

There does seem to be a mismatch in what some advisors are saying..... different rules depending on who you speak to! I have just received a New (it does appear to be new) T1000. When I spoke to BT regarding the free You View box the advisor said that I can have my upgrade as the free T2100 if I preferred to have the newest box but I would need to just pay the £35 extra.

I decided to just stick with the T1000 at no extra cost. I will see how I get on with this as to be honest I have only heard good things about this box even if it is a bit bigger & a little slower that does not bother me too much.

If on my next renewal I decide I would prefer the newer smaller one then I will pay the £35 then or whatever is on offer at the time!

I did query the fact that some of these machines were saying reconditioned & the advisor assured me that they were actually new! I cannot hand on heart say whether mine is brand new but it certainly looks it & as long as it works perfectly I do not see this as a problem.

I feel that one of the main problems that customers are having with this whole box swap/upgrade is that there is too much inconsistancy with what the advisors are saying on the phone! They really should have been briefed properly & then everyone would have been treated the same!

0 Ratings