Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rawisaddie
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Moving home. BT are taking my fibre away >:-/

Go to solution
So I've been a loyal fibre customer from the start. I've just purchased a new home which is about 30 seconds away from my current address. Call BT to move my package over and got hit with the news that the cabinet is full so I have to downgrade to broadband and wait for a free slot which could be months or years.

So I asked the question. Can the slot I'm occupying in the cabinet not be reallocated to my new address. Apparently not. It will be given to a NEW customer in my area. Someone who is waiting and I go to the back of the queue.

Not impressed to say the least. Just wondering if any other current customers have got the same treatment where BT seem to be more interested in new customers?
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Moving home. BT are taking my fibre away >:-/

Go to solution

thus has nothing to do with BT  as soon as you cease your current line and broadband connection openreach allocate to the person at top of waiting list and unfortunately you go to bottom of waiting list  there are other posts similar to yous and this is a problem when you move homeor move ISP when you existing cabinet is full

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

It has nothing to do with BT and would happen no matter which ISP you were with.

Openreach operate a strict queuing list where cabinets are full. A cease order has to be placed on your present connection in order to move it therefore the connection becomes immediately available and is allocated to the person at the top of the queue.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

That is the fairest way to do it. Remember its Openreach that provide the cabinet ports, for all providers that use their infrastructure.

BT Retail are not allowed to have priority over any other provided.

0 Ratings
Rawisaddie
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
I didn't realise openreach controlled this. Just assumed BT controlled their own segment of this. Still sucks that I have to give it up for someone else when I've had it for so long
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

How would you feel if you have been at the bottom of the waiting list forever, because people kept jumping the queue?

You may not have to wait too long, as people change providers quite often, especially if their provider is increasing prices soon.

What many people do not realise, is that changing fibre provider could result in them have no fibre connection for quite a while, if the cabinet is full.

The same applies if people move house.

If you had any BT services like BT YouView, and they cannot be provided, then BT should alter your package to reflect the missing services.

Rawisaddie
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
I suppose you expect to keep it if you have it just. If someone told me that house movers could keep their slot when they move somewhere using the same cabinet I would think that was reasonable
0 Ratings