cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 4

Moving home - absolutely appalling

I have been in battle with BT for the last few weeks over my move.

I have been spouted a load of inaccurate information, lacking in common sense, and generally holding me to ransom just for moving house.

I wish to cancel my services, yet despite my contract being renewed in July they have renewed my contract at the point of my move, so now being charged 10mths if I wish to cancel instead of 4mths I expected.

I still don't understand why I have ended up on a new contract just simply for moving house. They have attempted to claim that I was not charged for an Engineer Home Visit (which I did not have anyway) so my contract was renewed instead. Add to that the usual other statements they make up which make no sense whatsoever.

I am so tired of dealing with BT over this. They are extracting money for nothing. I was a loyal customer - now I am being penalised just for moving house.

The complaints department is more than useless - I get palmed off to cancellations, or home move orders, both of which also seem to have complaints team within them. No one actually deals with the points I've raised. I am doing everything by email just because I want something documented and because I cannot understand them when they call.

I am so frustrated I just want an end to BT altogether, but I refuse to pay nearly £250 in cancellation feed just because they decide that moving home justifies a new contract. They didn't even have to do anything - BT line was already installed, I already had equipment (yet they saw fit to send me a new one and charge for its delivery) and I set it up myself. BT did nothing except transfer my account to my new address. Why does a change of address mean a new contract? It's just painful and I want shot of the whole thing.
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Moving home - absolutely appalling

If you move home, it automatically starts a new 12 month phone contract.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/telephony.html

27. If you move home and want us to provide you with telephone service at your new address, you must begin a new contract with a 12 month minimum period for the new telephone line. If you paid for 12 months line rental in advance at your old address, you can carry over any unused rental period to your new address. If you have not reached the end of the minimum period for your existing calling plan contract when you move, you can carry the remainder of that contract over to your new address, but you may only upgrade or downgrade your calling plan as set out in paragraphs 24 to 26 above.

Highlighted
Message 3 of 4

We've never had anything like this with Sky, nor with Vigin when we've moved before. Our accounts just transferred over to our new address seamlessly - everything set up and run on the right day, at the right time, with no additional costs or recontracting required. It seems only BT penalise people for moving home. I've never come across something so absurd to recontract someone for moving to a new address, especially one where BT was already installed - all they had to do was connect it up. 

My original enquiry to BT was why I was being charged so much for cancellation, and why my contract had been reset when I moved - this was not clear when I initiated the move process (either that it would be reset, or the reason why). I should have been able to get that answer quite easily from a customer services adviser. But instead I got spouted a load of rubbish which demonstrated no logic or common sense, about engineer visits, online Vs over the phone, cancellation periods etc. Only when I spoke to someone in the UK did I actually get an answer, and an explanation - even if I am unchanged in my view that they operate in ways are unreasonable, not consumer friendly, and merely aim to extract as much money from their customers for doing nothing.

I am appreciative today to the young lady who actually dealt with my enquiry reasonably and answered my questions. I cannot understand why BT still offload their customer service to a call centre in India - it is a terrible way to operate, and twice I have had people hang up on me because I would not accept the rubbish they were trying to tell me which even contradicted themselves. I do not trust them one bit.

BT have done nothing but fleece me for the last 6 months - charging me for things I have not had, and fighting with them for refunds - I do not know how they get away with some of their practices.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

If you want to cancell your contract with BT the following information may be of help.

If you have had to re-contract with your home move, this would/should give you a 14 day cooling off period from the start of the new contract unless you have asked BT to start your service immediately. If you have not asked for the service to start from the day you agreed the new contract BT should not have started your service until the 14 days had passed.

Depending on what applies you may be able to use it as a lever to get things sorted out.

See links for info about cooling off.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/how-to-cancel-a-contract-without-being-penalised

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/made

0 Ratings