cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 11 of 21

Re: Moving home - awful service

yes it does walmart own asda thru a gb quoted company, pc world and currys are one and the same owned by the same company, as are bt.retail and openreach, so where am i going wrong and calling different companies, please explain. cheers

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 21

Its really not that difficult to understand, but then if you are anything like the majority of people I meet on a daily basis then I understand why you can't comprehend that Openreach and BT are themsleves two seperate companies who just happen to be owned by the same Corporate Group. Like I just said though, you're not the only one out there, a lot of people don't get it just like there are things I don't get.

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 13 of 21

The BTplc (BT Group) Business

btplc structure.png

About BT Retail

BT Retail serves its customers through four customer-facing divisions: BT Consumer; BT Business; BT Ireland, and BT Enterprises.

BT Consumer a customer-facing divisions of BT Retail

We are the leading provider of voice and broadband services for retail consumers in Great Britain and we also have a growing pay-TV service, BT Vision. We sell services under the BT brand as well as the Plusnet brand in order to reach a wider range of customers. Our BT-branded services have a range of extra features that set them apart from competitors while Plusnet provides simple voice and broadband services for more cost-conscious customers.

About Openreach 

In Great Britain Openreach provides services over the ‘local loop’ network (also referred to as the ‘local access network’ and the ‘last mile’), a critical national asset that comprises the copper and fibre connections between telephone exchanges and consumer and business premises.

Openreach is also responsible for delivering the roll-out of our fibre broadband network. In addition to delivering local loop services, we provide backhaul services that connect exchanges to communications providers’ networks.

Our business is subject to regulation that requires us to sell services to all Communications Providers' (CPs) on an open and equal basis, meaning that external CPs can buy services from us on the same terms as BT’s lines of business. To make this work effectively Openreach’s operational, engineering and systems capabilities are separate from the rest of BT.

Hope that helps explain it

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 14 of 21

yes i will correct you, openreach and bt retail are still one and the same company, it is like someone else said about pc world and currys they are OWNED by the same company, what the different parts do may be not be the same but they are one and the same company, only listed on the ftse as ONE company, 

for all the garbage about bt retail and openreach being different they are still ONE company.

cheers

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 15 of 21

and just one last point, if you look at openreach front page top left, they say a BT group business, i think that is the final point.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 16 of 21

oh sorry, there are some more points, that i forgot,  so bt openreach are a seperate compant so should bt vision which i believe you all think is part of bt retail or it is on the forum, so is bt mobile which i think you believe is part of bt retail or it is on this forum, and also bt customer service which you believe is part of bt retail or it is on the forum, so please explain to me which part of bt is seperate from the rest because for one if you look at the bt company web site they are all owned by ONE company cheers

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 17 of 21

BTplc Own these companies: BT Retail, BT Global Services, BT Wholesale and Openreach. These are supported by two internal service units, BT Innovate & Design and BT Operate.

BT Retail - Is an ISP Communication provider like all the others in the UK. BT Retail serves its customers through four customer-facing divisions: BT Consumer ( Which includes BT Vision, BT Broadband, BT Phone, BT Mobile Broadband Dongle) ; BT Business (BT Business supplies SMEs in Great Britain with fixed calls and lines, broadband, mobility and IT services as well as data and voice networks.); BT Ireland, and BT Enterprises (BT Enterprises consists of six separate businesses each of which operates as a standalone business) 

For more information on BT Retail Click Here

BT Global Services- BT Global Services is a global leader in managed networked IT services, serving the needs of customers in more than 170 countries worldwide. We provide services to around 7,000 large corporate and public sector customers.

For more information on BT Global Services Click Here

BT Wholesale - BT Wholesale provides a broad range of voice, broadband and data communications services for fixed and mobile network operators (MNOs), internet service providers (ISPs) and telecoms resellers in the UK and also provides services to other BT lines of business.

We provide managed network services (MNS) for fixed and mobile communications providers with differing requirements – from fully managed network outsourcing for operators with significant network assets, to white label managed services designed to help operators with limited or no infrastructure.

For more information on BT Wholesale Click Here

Openreach

In Great Britain Openreach provides services over the ‘local loop’ network (also referred to as the ‘local access network’ and the ‘last mile’), a critical national asset that comprises the copper and fibre connections between telephone exchanges and consumer and business premises. Openreach is also responsible for delivering the roll-out of our fibre broadband network. In addition to delivering local loop services, we provide backhaul services that connect exchanges to communications providers’ networks.

Our business is subject to regulation that requires us to sell services to all CPs on an open and equal basis, meaning that external CPs can buy services from us on the same terms as BT’s lines of business. To make this work effectively Openreach’s operational, engineering and systems capabilities are separate from the rest of BT.

Openreach can only be contacted through your communications provider/ISP and Openreach Treat all communications provider/ISP equally.

Websites
• BTplc Website : http://www.btplc.com/
• BT Retail Website : http://www.bt.com/
• BT Wholesale Website : https://www.btwholesale.com/
• Openreach Website : http://www.openreach.co.uk/

Each different company has a different role within the BTplc Group, So BT Retail (who operates this forum and bt.com website) is an ISP/communications provider and Openreach is the company that maintain and fix local loop problems on BTw's network (Which most ISP/communications providers use). For that reason Openreach treat all ISP/communications providers equally and BT Retail do not have any higher authority/advantages than the rest.

cheers.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 21

'oh sorry, there are some more points, that i forgot,  so bt openreach are a seperate compant so should bt vision which i believe you all think is part of bt retail or it is on the forum, so is bt mobile which i think you believe is part of bt retail or it is on this forum, and also bt customer service which you believe is part of bt retail or it is on the forum, so please explain to me which part of bt is seperate from the rest because for one if you look at the bt company web site they are all owned by ONE company cheers'

Openreach are just called Openreach, not 'BT Openreach'. I do believe I explained on another thread that people only called it 'BT Openreach' because that is how the media reported it. The reason the media did that was due to what I mentioned earlier on in this post, that the majority of the population can't mentally comprehend that one individual company has since split into two and are now managed and run separately.

Also I know on the www.openreach.co.uk web site it say 'a BT Group Business'. That is because Openreach, like BT Retail, BT Wholesale, Plusnet, DABS.com and many more different companies are owned by the corporate group, British Telecommunications plc.

Oh, and BT Vision and Mobile are not companies, they are products/services sold by BT Retail.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 19 of 21

your have just answered my point in one sentence that all parts are owned my one company bt telecommunications plc.

so now can we please get back to the one point that all the bt  parts are owned by bt.com

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 21

Actually the point of this thread is that the service from BT as a whole is awful. Openreach retail or whoever are the same company and all are equally as bad, none of the dozen or so, so called advisors, that I have spoken to in the past week have had a clue what is going on, someone explain why it is so difficult to swap my current account to another house that already has a bt line, owned by bt operated by bt and billed for by bt. BT **bleep** terrible
0 Ratings