Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Moving home problems

Hi,

I've had serious misinformation about the timescale/risks of moviing my BT package to my new home where another company was the phone/broadband provider. Upshot is I will have to wait over three weeks until the line is taken over by BT.

The line is currently working and I can make calls and use broadband. My questions are therefore:

1. Will this line be switched off at some stage between now and BT taking over the line? ie leaving me without any connectivity

2. WHo pays for calls I make on these lines and broadband usage before BT take over?

3. Is there any way I can get BT to take the line over more quickly

Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Message 2 of 13

Re: Moving home problems

Hi Tomwaits,

I should be able to answer those questions.

1. Your line should stay on until BT takes over the line, there sometime can be an interruption of up to an hour but in most cases there shouldn't be an interruption.

2. You will only be charge for your usage from the point BT takes over the line.

3. When a working line take over is ordered there are strict time scales involved and BT has to notify the out going customer and provider that there is someone wishing to take over the service.

I hope this information help, if you have any more questions just shout.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Hi Paddy,

Many thanks for this. Just to press you on two pointsthough,

1. I assume the previous owner may cancel the line as they will soon learn that BT can't take over the phone until 20th May - theoretically I could be phoning Australia every day. If I was them that's what I would do. In this situation I will not have phone/broadband for two weeks which would be a complete disaster for me.

2. I simply don't understand these strict guidelines. I am in the house using the phone and want it changed, the previous owner wants it changed, I have spoken to the existing provider and they told me that BT could take it over now. As I mentioned two of your colleagues said they could change it in 24 hours. I am amazed that I placed an order in mid April and it can't be changed until late May.

Are there not exceptional situations - like mine - where a transfer can be pushed through in a much shorter timescale?

Kind regards,

Andy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Hi,

Still waiting for a response to last mailing from the care team. Just to repeat though I have a third issue. If the previous owners do indeed cancel the line is this going to delay the BT take over even further as an engineer may/will be required?

Just to stress the craziness of the situation I received a letter from BT today addressed to the "occupier" asking if they /I would be happy to have the service changed!

The moving process seems to make no sense to me. My gas, elec, insurance council tax, water all change on the day I moved in. Only the phone line causes problems. It is like the previous owner giving me their mobile phone and asking me to please not use it for a couple of weeks while the operators get their act together. Whatever the guidelines are designed to do they certainly don't work for the consumers on either side of the move.

Thanks and very much look forward to the care team helping with a fast track move.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 13

Hi Tomwaits,

Have you actually placed an order yet? If so then the activation should happen on the date given when placing the order, regardless of whether the outgoing customer cancelled the line in the meantime.

With regards to taking over an active service, BT has to notify the outgoing customer and service provider that there is someone wishing to take over the service. BT has to give them enough time to respond, this usually is 2 weeks.

Thanks

Paddy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

did you contact the care team directly using the link in PaddyB's profile
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Thanks Paddy,

On 1,  that is slightly reassuring - so irregradless of the customer cancelling the service the 20th is the drop dead date? (I have re-ordered - the first was cancelled but not by me)

I don't understand the logic of the delay in transfer. I have been in the house for over a week now. The previous operator is happy for BT to take over asap, the previous owner will definitely want it changed asap as I am running up bills on their account - so why can't it be transferred over today ?

I'm afraid I can see no good reason why this can't be done right now. I run the risk of  having the line disconnected any day between now and the 20th which is simply unaccaetpable.

Regards,

Andy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 13

Hi Tomwaits,

The problem is that the outgoing customer did not stop the line, so this means BT has to follow the working line take over process as outlined by the regulator. The process is in place to make sure that a line isn't taken over n error.

I can take a look at your order to see how it is progressing, please could you send me in your details using This Link

Thanks

Paddy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Thanks Paddy - sent through the link

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Paddy - as per previous discussion it is the day I am supposed to have BT taking over talk talk line. CONTRARY to your assertion that "Your line should stay on until BT takes over the line, there sometime can be an interruption of up to an hour but in most cases there shouldn't be an interruption" I have been without phone and broadband for well over an hour now. Moreover I go on to BT site and it tells me it could take 24 hours for broadband to work and up to midnight to get the phone line - this is serious misinformation I have been given.

To add insult to injury my fallback of BT wifi won't work as it won't recognise my previously acceptable user / id password - has this been changed?

So here I am at my nearest wifi outlet - paying for expensive coffee and compromising my security.

Whagt a shambles this move has been. What will happen next?

0 Ratings