Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steve6501
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Moving house and keeping the existing phone number

Hi

I will be moving home (I have arranged through home moving service) and the existing line at the new address is really easy to remember and I would like to keep it.  I understand that my existing number will not be able to be transferred as it in an a different exchange.

We would like to use the existing number at the new address but BT team gave me a new number.   If I get the permission from the existing house number....the owner is leaving the country so will not want/need his old number can this be done please?  

If not what woulfd happen to that number and would it become available, please

thanks

Steve

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 2

Re: Moving house and keeping the existing phone number

Personally, I would keep the new number that BT have allocated, as the house owner may have other issues that you are unaware of, and you would not want people ringing their number, and bothering you.

All their friends, relatives and any companies they have dealt with, would be ringing you, expecting to speak to the previous owners.

I also believe, because of the privacy issue, BT would not let you have their old number, and it will be made dormant for a length of time, before being recycled.

0 Ratings