cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Debbie_w
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Moving house / delay in connection / poor BT customer service

I'm really disappointed with the customer service received to date. Having checked online a month ago to see how 'instant' my transfer of line / broadband could be when moving house (it stated 14 days lead time and no need for engineer to attend) I have now found out I will have a considerable delay in connection.

Speaking to various people on Friday and being told various different things (at one point I was told it would be instant, another point I was told a couple of week) I have now been told the earliest my connection will be is 22nd August (I move on 14th August) and that 'it's not definite, an engineer will be in touch to arrange a visit'.

This is really poor service. It seems the delay is due to me upgrading to Infinity a few months ago - the engineer needs to attend to connect this, despite the fact there is a BT line into the property. I'd be happy to have standard broadband in the interim (personally I can't tell the difference since the upgrade) but a BT person advised against this in case it resulted in more confusion!!!

When I originally moved over to BT earlier in the year I had so many problems with the account at that point (again, poor customer service related) that I was phoned by a 'fast track complaints' dept who gave me a number to dial in case of future problems. Funnily enough this has been engaged all day...

I am incredibly disappointed with BT. Why the massive delay in connection - unbelievably I was told it was due to the weather! I work from home and cannot be without broadband/phone for over a week... I even considered transfering to a business line but the business customer sales person sounded too bored to even help. A 'residential to business' transfer person finally advised against this as it would more delays...

Please advise what I should do?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Moving house / delay in connection / poor BT customer service

as you know as an infinity customer there product is an engineer install one this is why you have to wait for it
as to getting normal broadband that would need ordering and still work would need to be done on your line and is not viable for such a short time
the reason you were given about the weather the recent storms and flooding has caused substantial damage to the network and priority is given to restoring service rather then new installs all you can do is wait i am afraid until Openreach can carry out the work it is nothing to do with BT Retail your provider
0 Ratings
Debbie_w
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

No, I wasn't aware that Infinity needed an engineer to instal at my new address - that's my point. When I checked online as to the lead time needed for my move it informed me 'no engineer needed' and thus a 14 day lead time. I followed this advice, only to be told several different variations on a theme on Friday by various online and telephone customer service people.

BT shouldn't offer an option to check things online if the information provided isn't correct.

= Poor service.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

if you were already an Infinity customer you would you would have originally had an engineer install it at your old address this has to be repeated at your new address this means a new faceplate for your master socket work in the local green phone and fibre cabinet in all up to 3 hours work the reason you were told on the website no engineer visit needed that would only have been for a standard phone line it is your fibre install that will have delayed normally it is better to do a home move over the phone as they would have seen your infinity service and would have advised you then of the delay
0 Ratings
Debbie_w
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

I have called BT on numerous occasions this last week (six times!) and been given a slightly different story each time. Yesterday I was told the people moving from my new house hadn't informed their provider of their move so the order had not been processed despite receiving a confirmation that the new service would connect on 22nd August and an engineer would attend.

Today I was called to say they had made a mistake and I would need a new line installing at the address - aside from the Infinity - so irrelevant if the person has cancelled their line. And yet more delays. Apparently I now need to call back in 48 HOURS to re-order it!

How is it possible to get things repeatedly wrong and offer such diabolical poor service! BT don't even seem to know if they have phone lines at properties?

0 Ratings
Debbie_w
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Even better. Within the same telephone conversation, having cancelled my order and effectively blocked the sytem from re-ordering it for 48 hours, the girl has now told me THERE IS A LINE THERE! So my order is not only cancelled but there was no need to cancel it.

BT? Get real. Get proper customer service.

0 Ratings