cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

Moving house no BT

If i am 2 months into a 12 mth contract and moving house that has no bt service. Where do i stand with this contract. The new house has restrictive covenant not allowing any overhead cables too.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Moving house no BT

You will have to pay the appropriate cancellation charges.

Ask yourself who is breaking the contract?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

I suspect that if you can not get a BT service at your new address, which is not as a result of BT not being able to provide them due to a network problem or unavailability but is due to an exclusions by a restrictive covenant which has nothing to do with BT, you will need to pay a cancellation charge which will be the remainder of your contract.

See link about moving services.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=30848

See charges here

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

Well if BT provide a line, it will not be me breaking the covenant as it will not be me installing it though. Under ground cable is permitted so there is other options. Looking at the property there are no telegraph poles in the road so not sure how they could get a cable there.

I also have infinity but the new property as told by BT does not have this available, so i can't get a like for like service as currently on infinity.

So surely if BT can't provide the service i have agreed to i.e infinity, then i am not breaking any contract.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

if they cannot provide infinity they normally offer standard ADSL connection to replace it
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

@paulpa66 wrote:

Well if BT provide a line, it will not be me breaking the covenant as it will not be me installing it though. Under ground cable is permitted so there is other options. Looking at the property there are no telegraph poles in the road so not sure how they could get a cable there.

I also have infinity but the new property as told by BT does not have this available, so i can't get a like for like service as currently on infinity.

So surely if BT can't provide the service i have agreed to i.e infinity, then i am not breaking any contract.

If you are not allowed to install an overhead line because of the covenant but underground cables are allowed they will do it that way if required. Do none of the other properties in the area have a phone line?

If you have a read through "Frequently Ask Questions" in the the link I posted about moving home you will see that if they have to install a new line there could be a £130 charge.

If they have told you you can not get Infinity they will provide ADSL which is still classed as broadband. 

It will only be if BT are unable to provide a service that you will be able to get out of the contract without cancellation charges.

Please keep us updated with how you get on. It my help others who have a similar problem in the future.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

If there are no telephone poles in the road, but other people have telephones, then the chances are that there are ducts running under the pavements.  In that case, Openreach may well be able to run a new line in.

0 Ratings