Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AdamD1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Moving house

Go to solution

Hi,

I complete on the sale of my flat on Monday and am moving in with friends who already have broadband, therefore I do not require my phone line and broadband to be transferred. Do I need to do anything? I assume that if I do not move it then my YouView box will not work at the new residence, without the BT broadband? Can I still watch it on other devices (tablets, mobile etc.) using my login and password?

As they already have a broadband and TV package, it is likely that I will cancel my contract when it is due for renewal in August - do I need to give a month's notice for that?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Moving house

Go to solution

The BT Youview box will still work on any broadband connection, but you will lose access to services on the BT button. You can still use it as a PVR, and use the normal YouView apps.

BT Require normally 30 days notice to cancel.

You will have to pay cancellation charges for any of your services that are still in contract in August.

You will also be charged £31 for ceasing your broadband.

0 Ratings
AdamD1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
Thanks.

I meant that I will give notice to cancel with effect from the annual anniversary date, surely there won't be cancellation charge if I am not in contract?

£31 to cancel broadband? Is that a standard charge? Basically a "oh you're leaving, are you? In that case we'll have £31 as a good bye present"?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

You need to check that all of your packages end on the same, or earlier date, to avoid charges.

The £31 charge is raised by Openreach and is passed to all service providers, to cover the work needed to disconnect the broadband equipment in the exchange.

Service providers pass this charge to end users when they cease their broadband service totally.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-cease-charge/?s_cid=con_FURL_ceasecharges

0 Ratings
AdamD1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Right ok. More money for old rope. Hey ho.

It looks like all my services cease on the same date.

WOuld you advise just leaving it until I need to cancel? What will they do if I inform them that I am moving, do not require the broadband at the new residence but do not want to cancel until a couple of months after i move?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

If you leave it until the day the contract ends, you may still be liable for the 30 days notice period. I would give notice 30 days before and specify the date that you want you service ceased, i.e. the day after your contract finishes.

The fact that you are moving, would be of no interest to BT, provided that you tell them where you want the final bill, which will be a paper one, sent to.

0 Ratings