cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tony8436
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 37

Re: Moving to BT from Talk Talk any happy BT customers

The reason I am still here is because although I moved to a new provider, BT still owns the line which needs upgrading.  My new provider cannot upgrade it because of this reason, and NO, I would not complain if I was getting a good service, If I was even capable of watching a 2 minute video on youtube without haveing to wait 15 mins for it to stream I would be happy, but BT wont allow this to happen.

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 22 of 37

Outcast_Aussie wrote:

I am somewhat peeved that my next door neighbour (semi-) is on Talk Talk and gets 16mb down but I get around 7mb but that's because of BT's use of IP profiling. There must be a boon to it I guess ?

I'll wager that's because your neighbour on TT is on a ADSL2+ service, while your BT service is the good old "up to 8Mb" ADSL - nothing to do with IP profiling.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
optatus
Beginner
Message 23 of 37

personally, i'd avoid talktalk due to the fact that they work by LLU, meaning u don't have a recognised bt line if you want to leave them (costing you £120-ish to fix). At the end of the day it's regardless who u go with due to the fact it's the exact same line, same speed. If there is going to be a fault on the line it will still be bt openreach who fix it. So my advice is to find a right package for you that suit you 🙂 I used to work for a phone/broadband provider 🙂

0 Ratings
Shazzy
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 37

I had problems at first with BT vision and my internet, just after joining BT.  It was a contended VP to blame and BT were extremely quick to rectify it and treated me with utmost respect at all times.  I got call backs when I was told I would and they didn't stop working on my problem until it was fixed and as soon as my line settled down after being rebuilt, it was fantastic.

I now have the fastest broadband I've ever experienced in my location which is at least 2mb more than I used to get with other ISP's and as a gamer, I'm really happy with pings which is very low.  It's very rare I have any downtime whatsoever now.

I think you'll find that most customers who are happy probably don't even come to the forums but it's a fantastic place to come when you need help and support.

0 Ratings
Penelope_Pitstop
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 37

It's important to bear in mind that most people who participate in this forum are people who have experienced some kind of problem so reading posts on here will tend to engender a negative impression of the service BT provides.  For every person on here with a problem, there are probably loads of others who have no issues at all.

That said, I've been with BT for about a decade in several different areas of the country. I've also set up broadband installations for friends and family from many other ISPs including TalkTalk so I think my opinion is informed.

I've stuck with BT because I've always found the service itself to be very reliable, the speeds good and the prices competitive.  That said, I have experienced some issues:

- The offshore help desk is truly awful in my experience.  BT seem to be bringing it back into the UK and if your call gets routed here, I've found the support to be good.  I haven't found any of the other ISPs I've worked with any better no matter where their call centres are.

- The HomeHub2 needs work.  The WiFi network frequently crashes when large amounts of data is transferred over it.  I have to reset it too often for my liking.  Resets often break the Broadband Talk setup necessitating fiddling around to get it working again.  Hopefully that will be fixed in a future firmware release.  In the meantime, I use a different router to serve a stable WiFi network.  The original HomeHub was awful in the beginning too but eventually the firmware was developed to the point where it was reliable.

For quite a few years I had business broadband in my home office.  The service I received then was fantastic but of course it was more expensive than the consumer offering.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 37

@IanC wrote:

@Outcast_Aussie wrote:

I am somewhat peeved that my next door neighbour (semi-) is on Talk Talk and gets 16mb down but I get around 7mb but that's because of BT's use of IP profiling. There must be a boon to it I guess ?

I'll wager that's because your neighbour on TT is on a ADSL2+ service, while your BT service is the good old "up to 8Mb" ADSL - nothing to do with IP profiling.

Interesting. I have no idea but I'd have thought if my neighbour got ADSL2+ then surely BT would've at least offered me it ? I've always been option 3 from the outset.

An MSCE in computing is like having a McDonalds Certification in World Cuisine, pointless.
0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 27 of 37

@Outcast_Aussie wrote:

Interesting. I have no idea but I'd have thought if my neighbour got ADSL2+ then surely BT would've at least offered me it ?

BT might offer it if it's available. If it isn't, you're stuck with what you've got for the time being.

You can check the status of your local exchange at http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search 

If the 21CN WBC status is "unavailable" then the fastest you'll get from BT (FTTC/FTTP excepted) is the "up to 8Mbps" product.

It has always been BTs intention to use the 21CN to provide faster speeds using ADSL2/+. The majority of the LLU providers, who mainly entered the game after BT, went for ADSL2/+ capable equpment from the off.

Your router stats will confirm which service you're on.

0 Ratings
djbrooks
Beginner
Message 28 of 37

well i found out today that I am still in contract with talk talk and do not want to pay to get out of it, so I told BT I will return when my contract expires.

Thank you for your replies, I have decided that BT will be my next stop.  

0 Ratings
Soulvache
Aspiring Expert
Message 29 of 37

Don't forget that Ofcom made a ruling in October to reduce termination fees. If you can afford it, I'd leave them at the drop of a hat! How they survive, I'll never know!

Kyle

=======================================
If you found my post helpful, please give Kudos on the left!
=======================================
0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 30 of 37

I left Talk Talk in September last year.

I'd been with Tiscali for 5 years and had contacted Talk Talk in the summer to leave as they had doubled the monthly charge. They sent me a wireless router to cure my many disconnections and reduced the price rise.... but was still £2 more than I had been paying and for a slower service.

Anyhow the router did not cure the problem.

And by the look of it Talk Talk are still having connection problems from the number of posts on the ex Tiscali Forum.

I refused to accept that Talk Talk had put me on an 18 month contract  and eventually got away from the company in September.

If you are in the same "contract" situation then I recommend standing your ground to leave with out a cessation charge.

I  received my Mac on the 10 Sept and was up and running with Bt on the 17 Sept.

My BT service is soooo reliable. No disconnections at all.... what a difference to what I was used to with Talk Talk.

Things like dropping connection during a last minute ebay bid or midway thru a paypal payment and when filling in a form I would copy it to a word document (if I remembered)  before sending as many times it would fail and I would be left with a blank form that had taken ages to complete.

But I was/am dissapointed with my up to 20M BT service as I only receive 1.7M.

I contacted BT on Freefone number (Much better than the expensive 087 numbers Talk talk use for service).

Although Adsl2+ is available I am still on plain old ADSL 8M line and rather than change things BT have offered to transfer me to Infinity early this year as a priority.

In summary mainly because I have such a reliable consistant broadband and I can see an end in sight from my slow service I am very happy with BT and would strongly recommend you fight the "contract" situation or even pay!!!! and escape Talk Talk asap.

PC

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings