Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Mulitple Line Drops with decreasing BB speed

Go to solution

Recently had a speed issue resolved through forum a > moderator > BT Open Reach engineer visit - see thread: http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Slow-Broadband-Speed/m-p/553895#M142529  where a fault was found with a connection immediately outside my property; the BT socket inside my propoerty was also replaced as part of the visit.  After the open reach enginneer visit 25/06/2012, I was left with an impressive increase of Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 12,295

However, 12mpbs was maintained for about 24 hours and since then the broadband connection drops every 3 hours or so and along with this the speed has gradulally dropped to Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 446 / 462.  My router/modem is connected to the test socket and there are no other deivces connection or associated with this bt line.  I have performed a quiet line test on 71070 option 2, with nothing unusal noted.  Please see my current stats:

DSL Connection Stats

link Information 
Uptime: 0 days, 0:01:17
Modulation: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 446 / 462
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]: 24.00 / 35.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 22.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 17.5 / 34.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 15.5 / 26.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 105 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2,170 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 1,618,717 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 54,125 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 13,514 / 0
Line Profile: Fast

BT Speedtester results

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 0.22 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.5 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.22 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 0.41 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
0.32 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.32Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

I've waited a reasonable time before re-posting in case things resolved themselves - I have not manually restarted the router since the engineer visit.

Thnaks in anticipation of any help.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Mulitple Line Drops with decreasing BB speed

Go to solution

Hi mcg79,

You seem to have alot of CRC Errors and HEC Errors for a 1minute connection. If you are in the test socket and have tried the quite line test and there is no noise then I would contact the MODS.

Cheers,

James

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
Hi, yes I'm connected to the test socket and have done a quiet line test on 71070 option 2, befor posting the stats above
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

In the test socket, does it still drop connection?

cheers,

James

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

I agree with jac_95 and would contact the mods are there is still some serious noise on the line - especially as you are in test socket and this happened before

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks Chaps, logging with BT moderators

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
please repost when you have more details on your progress with the mods
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Hi John I've left a reasonable period of time before responding to ensure things have settled down, which I'm happy to confirm that they have. I did upgrade my modem from HH 1.5 to a billion BiPAC 7700N to rule out the router element but the forum mods also passed this back to BT wholesale and following an openreach visit my issue has been resolved.

The new modem did contribute to some improvements, but my profile was stuck in a very low band by this time. However, the extremely throrough openreach engineer did find some more faults than expected - the faults were present on testing from the pole connection on the street outside my house, so definitely in BT wholesale area of responsibility and nothing at fault within my property ( good to note for any future issues). He found some noise on the line [not audible on quiet line test] and adjusted a/c balance on the line from a low value of 51 [not suited to broadband] to 65. He fitted an openreach I-plate on my main socket, but on re-syncing he also noted many errors per minute on the upstream - interleaving was applied to my line at the exchange, which did sort the upstream errors and since releasing me from the banded connection I had been put on and resetting the snr to 6.0db, I now have a stable connection for the last week with a good speed - 12336 Kbps downstream and 804 Kbps upstream with an snr of 9 db and 4.5 db respectively. Re-syncs have stopped although I did have multiple automated re-syncs for a few days as the modem and exchange found their levels.

Once more thanks for your advice and assistance. In my experience the forum route is far better for sorting these issues out compared to the bt telephone help desk.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
Glad to hear all is now ok if you need help in the future please post back
0 Ratings