cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bangorman
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Multiple Connection Problems Home Hub

I have BT Infinity 1 unlimited download on a discounted package and have been offered an even better discount in the recent price rise email. Been on Infinity since it was introduced and although I check prices every time there's an increase or my contract ends it has always been cost effective to stay with BT. I have been very fortunate with the service and have no issues so it would take a significant saving to persuade me to change.

Here's my problem.

At the moment I have the BT Home Hub 3 router and Openreach Modem and recently I am having drop out and connection issues.

I have a desktop, laptop, streaming speaker system, smart electric sockets and mobile phones all connecting into the wireless network at home.

On starting up my desktop or my laptop I am often finding I cannot connect to the Home Hub and am having to switch the router off and on again to get a connection. It would seem that if I have the desktop turned on then the laptop won't connect - and vice versa.

What is even more odd, if the connection fails on start up and I try to make it connect through BT WiFi/Fon through my home router it will connect!

Am I trying to push my BT Home Hub 3 too hard and do I need to replace it with a new router? If this is the case am I best to go for Home Hub 5 h or should I consider another router.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Multiple Connection Problems Home Hub

Try a factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This can often sort out problems.

If you are able to get a free Homehub you could try using it however if you are going to pay for a new router I would get a third party router and avoid the Homehubs.

You could still use the Openreach modem with any wireless router that has aa WAN port, they start in price about £25 or you could go for a VDSL modem/router which would do away with the Openreach modem. VDSL modem/routers start in price about £65. 

0 Ratings
Bangorman
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Thank you - I will try the factory reset 

I think I would like to go for a combined router and modem - any you would suggest I look at?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

There are a few forum members who use the TP-Link TD-W9980 or TP-Link TD-W9970 and seem to have no issues with them.

0 Ratings