cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rob57
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Multiple Copies of Photo backup to BT Cloud

I set-up my photo library on an Apple Mac to back-up to the BT Cloud.  However the back-up appears to be repeating itself.  I now have 4 copies of each photo in the backup which is taking up over 20GB of storage.  I have switched off the back-up for the time being but would like to know how to set-up the back-up to only have one copy of each photo.

I created an Album of some of the photos on the BT Cloud and moved single photos into the Album but the album again displays multiple copies of the photographs.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
JoeV
Retired BT Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Multiple Copies of Photo backup to BT Cloud

Hi @Rob57,

If you have multiple copies of the same file within the folders you've told BT Cloud to backup then you'll end up with multiple copies stored in BT Cloud. My advise would be to use use some de-duplication software (there are several free versions for Mac) to scan your backed up folders, and remove any duplicates.

The other potential cause of duplicates is if you have the same files stored on multiple devices that are set to back up to BT Cloud (so if you have the same photo stored on three computers and two mobile phones, you'd end up with 5 copies stored). You'll have to tidy up your collection in order to avoid these duplicates from appearing.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Ratings
Rob57
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for this suggestion but I am not backing-up the photographs from multiple devices.  I am only backing-up the Photo Library on one Mac which as far as I can tell only has one copy of each photo.

Any other thoughts?

Regards

Robert

0 Ratings
JoeV
Retired BT Expert
Message 4 of 4

Hi Rob,

As I said, my advise would be to use some de-duplication software to check for file duplicates. It's also possible that your photo library contains 'origional' copies of your photos, plus multiple copies that you've edited (stuff like red eye reduction, contrast adjusting, etc). This would then lead to multiple similar (but not identical) copies of the same file ending up in BT Cloud.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Ratings