Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Keeping-up
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Multiple FON hotspots

I use BT FON quite often when I am out and about on the canals, getting connection to people's Home Hubs fairly easily in most towns but if I am in a city centre and near to a lot of Home Hubs (such as from a block of flats) the connection will not remain open for more than a few minutes at a time. After disconnection it is often impossible to reconnect for at least 15 minutes and sometimes won't reconnect at all unless I turn the compuetr off and restart it. It looks as if the signal gets captured by multiple routers which compete with each other and disconnect me. Is this possibly what happens? And is there a cure? It's a fairly old Dell laptop BTW, still running XP because I have some applications that won't run under Vista or 7.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Multiple FON hotspots

I suspect its struggling to find the strongest connection, trying to remember and re-connect etc etc.

Lucky you getting so many choices though.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
bootjangler
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Just on those points, what is the range you need to be in to get a signal? Next door? Three doors away? One road away?

Or is there a definitive measuremen?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

@bootjangler wrote:

Just on those points, what is the range you need to be in to get a signal? Next door? Three doors away? One road away?

Or is there a definitive measuremen?

It varies considerably for home hubs. Some people report difficulties just a room away, while I can update my satnav sitting in the car on the other side of the road. I've found that premium (commercial) hotspots are generally reliable within the provder's premises or just outside. 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.