cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
supahoopsa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Multiple connections - slower speed?

I am already struggling with speed from my BT home hub.

I am thinking of buying my two sons a laptop each for Christmas, so my question is if all 3 of us are connected at the same time, are my speeds going to suffer even more?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Multiple connections - slower speed?

your connection speed will stay the same but it will now now shared between all the devices connected

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
supahoopsa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

So I will see further degradation in my speed 😞

Is there any thing I can do about this?
0 Ratings
Customer2011
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

Although the actual speed of your connection won't change you will notice it is slower on each computer/laptop. This is because at the moment you get all of your internet speed going to one computer. With two laptops the speed has to be split so that all three computers have a connection. If you are already struggling for speed my suggestion would be to look at upgrading, but check with BT to see what speed your line can take, if you're already at the maximum speed then you won't get it any faster than the phoneline can handle 🙂

Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Hi Welcome to the forums

If you post the full stats from your router

For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser

Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it

Click on More Details and then post the full results.

also post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/
Then someone here will be able to give you a better idea of the speed available on your line
supahoopsa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Thanks, I will try this when I get home tonight as well as all the other great advice I have found on this forum
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Glad to help anytime

0 Ratings