cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sabinelb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

My BT infinity

Another windy and rainy day, and as ever in those conditions, my BT Infinity coverage has been interrupting all day long. From blue to red to green and blue....... I stopped counting at 35 interruptions in the space of 2 hours. 

I did not phone BT today. I have actually given up doing so after my last complaint, through the official complaint department, in writing led to a flurry of emails telling me that it would be solved followed by total silence. 

I have reported this fault at least 5 times  over the past 2 years. This starts with an endless wait (20 minutes+) to get connected to a human voice, followed by the now well practised checking of all the bits and bobs, wires, etc before it becomes quite clear that an Engineer will have to call. This usually happens the same week and low and behold everything is deemed ok within my home. Along the years, to be fair, work has been carried out on the line further down the road with no improvement whatsoever. 

And so it goes. 

I am writing this because I have had enough of this and feel totally powerless at finding a solution to it at this point. I would welcome any suggestions to solve this issue once and for all. I refuse to have to go through the same merry go round again for nothing. 

Thank you 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: My BT infinity

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

are you using the test socket with a new filter or do you have an SSFP?

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
sabinelb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thank you for your reply Imjolly

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12:

1. Product name: BT Home Hub

2. Serial number: +068343+NQ41109254

3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 10/07/15

4. Board version: BT Hub 5A

5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 01:04:04

6. Data rate: 4999 / 31008

7. Maximum data rate: 6763 / 34356

8. Noise margin: 7.4 / 7.4

9. Line attenuation: 29.9 / 27.5

10. Signal attenuation: 29.9 / 24.9

11. Data sent/received: 7.7 MB / 145.7 MB

12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester:

Broadband speed test results:

Download: 29.70

Upload: 4.27

Ping: 43.75

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed

29.7 Mbps

0 Mbps 30.01 Mbps

Max Achievable Speed

Download speed achieved during the test was - 29.7 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is  20 Mbps-30.01 Mbps .

Additional Information:

IP Profile for your line is - 30.01 Mbps

1. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed

4.27 Mbps

0 Mbps 10 Mbps

Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 4.27Mbps

Additional Information:

Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

are you using the test socket with a new filter or do you have an SSFP?

The last Engineer changed filter I believe with no improvement

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

bt.jpg

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

no significant noise on the line, but there is no wind today....

Constant on event log yesterday:

( 986.740000) PTM over DSL is down after 2 minutes uptime

( 982.020000) PPPoE is down after 1 minutes uptime [Disconnected]

1315.400000) PTM over DSL is down after 3 minutes uptime

( 1315.390000) PPPoE is down after 2 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 2 -​ Down)]

Today: hub light is blue but with constant dropping of the wifi

Much appreciated

Sabine

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

your connection time is currently 1hr+ with noise margin slightly above normal 6db at 7.4db  your connection speed is just below attainable and better that top estimate from the dslchecker.  download/upload speed consistent with connection speeds

if your wifi is dropping

have you turned of smart setup  

Turn Off smart setup

have you split the networks   

Split the networks

try changing channels 

you can try downloading inssider3 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. If you then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

inssider3.1.2.1

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
sabinelb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Thank you for your response as it will help with the dropping signal

Smart set up is off

What should I do about performance in bad weather though? I can barely use broadband on a bad day, as it goes down every time the wind blows. 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

repost stats when weather is causing a problem

DavidM
Message 7 of 8

Hi @sabinelb and thanks for posting.

As @imjolly has mentioned if you can post your stats when the problem is happening we'll step in and lend a hand at that point.

Cheers

David

sabinelb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Thank you for your help. 

I have reported this to BT this afternoon also.

Fault on the line has been confirmed. I hope it is X times lucky

0 Ratings