cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ladycazzeh
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

My Broadband speed - Is this normal

Just have a couple of questions about my broadband speed.

First of all, I am not using a homehub, Ive never been issued with one, and when my BT supplied broadband router died (voyager 205), I just went and bought a new one which allowed me to connect more than one computer to my internet.

However At the moment, I am running only one pc (and an xbox which is rarely connected to the internet) and I am getting just over 2meg internet as shown on http://www.speedtest.net/result/1870787988.png.

I am unable to run the online speedchecker from bt (it throws up an error) and the download version also starts throwing up errors.

Ive had BT broadband since 2005, so I am not a new customer by any means, But, is 2meg really normal? The exchange is less than a quarter mile from my home so its presumably not a distance factor for me.

If it makes any difference, I am on the Bt Total Broadband option 3 (unlimited), dont download much, and really only use the internet for Online gaming and general light internet usage (and for online gaming such as world of warcraft, I had to install Leatrix to significantly lower the ping or my game was bordering on unplayable).

The computer is connected directly to the router via ethernet cable, and the router is connected directly to the telephone wall socket. If anyone can shed any light on this, and let me know whether this is a normal broadband speed I'd be extremely grateful as it never deviates from that 2 meg, even though I am apparantly able to recieve up to 8meg, and a certain other internet providor has been cold calling lately telling me that in fact, I can recieve up to 24 meg from my exchange,

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: My Broadband speed - Is this normal

Hi Welcome to the forums

Here are some help pages done by CL Keith http://www.btinternet.com/~cbeddoe/speed/Speed.html

also post your full hub stats 

Can you also post the full results fromBT Speedtest speedtester.bt.com

Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket  Test Socket.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

Ladycazzeh
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

I do not have, and never have had, a homehub. When i got my broadband in 2005 as stated in the first post, I was given a voyager 205 which i replaced with a belkin router when it died.

As I also stated, I cant actually get the bt speedtest to run, it tells me its unable to test my telephone number at present.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

could you please retry the BT speed test trying another web browser that sometimes works as we do need the details from is as well as your full router stats
0 Ratings
Ladycazzeh
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

ive tried the speed test in Chrome, Firefox, and internet explorer, and its all returning that it is unable to check the speed for my line at present, and the download checker wont work in any of those either.

Looking at the router settings, and I hope this is the right information

Features
   UPnPDisabled
   NATEnabled
   FirewallEnabled
   WirelessEnabled
   ModeMixed (11b+11g)
   ESSID BroadcastEnabled
   SSIDBelkin54g
   ChannelAuto
   SecurityEnabled
  ADSL StatusConnected
   Data Rate Down/Up2272/288(Kbps)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

looking at that information you are on a fixed 2 mb service

0 Ratings
Ladycazzeh
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Is there any way to get the speeds increased if it is in fact fixed as it is fairly slow and when I do need to download updates etc, it takes hours.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Hi it is defiantly an old fixed speed service check out this link http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search if it says ADSLMAX is activated you should be able to be moved to that service which is up to 8 mb also check to see if it says that 21cn has been activated if it has you should be able to upgrade to the up to 20mb service

if you could find the attenuation figures in the router stats that would help us tell you the sort of speed you could expect
0 Ratings
Ladycazzeh
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Hi again, Samknows says that for my local exchange ASDLMAX is activated, however 21CN is not active.

I hope this is the information regarding the attenuation etc.

• Operation Data

Upstream

Downstream

Noise Margin

26 dB

28 dB

Attenuation

40 dB

--- dB

The first figure is upstream, second is downstream.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Hi you would get approx 7mb if you move to adsl max

You need to contact BT UK sales on 08007830056 and ask to move to the up to 8mb service if you have any problems then please post back and we can help you further
0 Ratings