cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

My C drive is full of BT Cloud folder. Can that be right?

Go to solution

I have recently decided to take advantage of the 100GB BT Cloud storage.  I decided to keep my photos on to BT Cloud.  About 80GB of them.  They are usually stored on a separate partition on my PC.  I indicated that I wanted them to be put on the Cloud, and then a couple of days later found that they had all been copied to a folder called BT Cloud in my C drive Users Folder.  That means that my C drive was pretty well full, and, no doubt slowing down.  Does BT Cloud have to keep its own "home" copy of all theses photos on my PC, as well as the ones that are already on my photos partition? 

Do I have to have two copies on the photos on my PC as well as a third copy on BT Cloud.  Seems strange and wasteful of space.

Can I at least move the BT Folder?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Contributor
Message 2 of 17

Re: My C drive is full of BT Cloud folder. Can that be right?

Go to solution

Hi there. Not sure if this helps but here goes.

The BT Cloud folder (called by the BT PC App dashboard the BT Cloud Sync Folder) holds an automatic additional copy of backed up data from other devices such as smartphones, ipads etc. which is in addition to the data backed up on the BT Cloud. If you open the BT Cloud PC app dashboard and click on the 'Sync' tab you can deselect any of the devices there and they will not then create copies on the PC where the BT Cloud application resides.

If you are already keeping your photos on your PC in another place then obviously you do not need both.

If your 80GB of photos are not on another device then I am a bit confused.

You can alter the location of the BT Cloud folder in the settings tab of the dashboard.

0 Ratings
BT Cloud Expert
BT Cloud Expert
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Hi @Snark

As @billcubbon helpfully posted, BT Cloud keeps a local copy of the 'BT Cloud Sync Folder' the location specified in the BT Cloud control panel - by default this is inside the users local folder on the C: drive, but you could change this to another partition.

The BT Cloud Sync folder contains a subfolder for each mobile device you have connected to BT Cloud, plus any content you've uploaded from the BT Cloud website or that you've added to BT Cloud by dragging and dropping it to the Sync folder. The BT Cloud software will download a local copy of everything in your BT Cloud sync folder to your PC by default, but if you don't want this to happen you can turn it off in the BT Cloud dashboard. There's some instructions on how to use BT Cloud Sync folder here: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56970/

Thanks,

Joe V - BT Cloud Product Team

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Thank you, both, for your replies, but I have to confess that I am still unsure what I need to do to resolve my problem.
As billcubbon says "If you are already keeping your photos on your PC in another place then obviously you do not need both."

and that is my situation.  I have all the phots on G partition, and now BT cloud is putting them all in its own folder on C drive.  I have not managed to find how to prevent this happening. 

Sorry to be so dim, but some of us are made that way, I'm afriad, which is why we need forums!

I won't need to move the BT Cloud Sync Folder, as long as I can prevent it copying all my photos into it.
I'm still hoping this can be done whilst storing backed up copies of the photos in BT Cloud itself.

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
BT Cloud Expert
BT Cloud Expert
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

Hi Snark,

You can stop BT Cloud from downloading content to your C drive by going to the 'Sync' screen of your BT Cloud app, and then unticking 'Sync all folders'. This will stop BT Cloud from automatically downloading backed up content to your C: Drive. I've attached a screenshot from our help pages that shows the screen in question below.

If you do want BT Cloud to automatically download some content (but not everything) then just untick the folders you don't want.

If you'd like the content BT Cloud does download to be saved somewhere other than the C: Drive then you can change this in the settings page.

If you'd like someone to walk you through this in more detail then let me know, and I'll get one of our advisors to give you a call?

Thanks,

Joe

Sync Screen Help Screenshot.png

Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution
Got it! Thanks.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

I think what Snark may be asking here is that as his/her C:\ drive is full he/she would like relocate the sync folder on his PC to say a larger D:\ drive. I would like to know the answer to this too. It would be nice if one simply cut and pasted it into the D:\ drive and subsequent syncs found it. Can aynyone verify this?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

I have excactly the same issue

I have filled up my C drive with the cloud folders .How do I get Cloud to work from the D Drive and transfer its contents to the D drive to free up space on the C drive?

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Hello to all,

I too wanted to locate the BT Cloud sync folders away from my C drive, because it's a small SSD with just Windows installed and there is no room.  So naturally it needs to go on the much larger D drive.  

And the good news is that it can be done.  Absolutely.

Here's how.  Install the BT Cloud desktop as normal and it will load the sync folder on the C drive as a default.  Not to worry tho.  Once it is fully installed open the "settings" tab and there is an option button to relocate the sync folder to wherever you want to put it. Select the new position and job done.

As an aside.  This of course duplicates any data from User Files that are then copied into the sync folders for cloud upload.  Effectively this is using space on the drive.  For me it is not a problem due to the large drive and low volume of data involved.  If it is a problem though you will have to move the User folders default location to the BT Cloud folder.  And no I am not going to give instructions on that - Google it instead.

Enjoy.

Phil

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

The solution of moving BT Cloud from C to D Drive seems clear enough.  However the issue I have, as do many judging by forum posts, that despite there being an option to move BT Cloud file location in Setiings, moving to D Drive isn't possible.  Has anyone figured out how to address this?

0 Ratings