cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 3

My Email address is being used

People are receiving emails with my name and email address and they are not from me which is disturbing

given the content. What can I do about this?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: My Email address is being used

Castlefin wrote: What can I do about this?

Not a lot. A spammer has got hold of your email address and using it to disguise the origin of their messages. It usually stops when they move on to another address, but meanwhile you may get a lot of undelivered messages "returned" to you. It doesn't necessarily mean your email account has been hacked, but it's advisable to change your password if you have any doubts.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 3

Re: My Email address is being used

@Castlefin wrote:

People are receiving emails with my name and email address and they are not from me which is disturbing

given the content. What can I do about this?

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Are the people receiving these emails known contacts ?, or are you receiving bounced "non delivery" type messages ?

As already advised, for the former, you need to alter your password in case your account is compromised. I.e. login to webmail to alter the password, and check all the options in case any forwarding or vacation response messages are set.

For the latter, there is frankly nothing that can be done about it. Again as already mentioned, spammers will tend to use other email addresses as the "From" address in their spam runs, so the responses will dry up to a trickel and eventually stop. The spammers don't choose the address, it is done by their software and can be anything, and anyone's address.

0 Ratings