cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rasco
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

My FTTC cab sitting doing nothing for over 7 months now.....

The Basingstoke exchange has been live with Fibre for some time now, but most of Chineham (a village outside it) was missed. Last year, an infill program was created to connect up the missing parts of Chineham, including my cab PCP66. The FTTC cab was installed July 2011, and as far as I know all that needs to be done is to connect power to it and go through the testing phase before I can sign up for BT Infinity. Roadworks were organised last year for my cab (confirmed on Elgin) but were cancelled last-minute. The other cabs in the area had power connected (as the roadworks went ahead) and the homes they supply have been ordering BT Infinity for months. Roadworks were scheduled again recently around PCP66, but no-one turned up. It is incredibly frustrating to drive past my FTTC cab every day, knowing it was installed so long ago, and not being able to sign up for BT Infinity. I'm currently lucky to get 1MBit/s, which is incredibly frustrating. I've tried contacting BT Retail, but they don't know when the cab will be ready, as they aren't told until they can buy the service from BT Wholesale. I've tried contacting Openreach, but they are unable to talk to me about it due to their contact policy. As most of the investment has gone ahead to install the cab already, and it's just been sitting there for the best part of a year, I would hope Openreach are keen to finish the job, but I have no way of finding out. I've heard on good authority that power cables are ready, hidden in a verge by the cab. Surely there's not much left to do! The cab is well in the open, no restrictions, this should be a relatively straight forward fix....

When I've managed to catch an Openreach engineer (every one of them are really nice guys, thought I should mention) working on the old cab, they say that they thought it was connected up already. but it's not the case!

Surely someone must know something, but where do I go to find out?

Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: My FTTC cab sitting doing nothing for over 7 months now.....

There's no way to find out unfortunately.

Have a look here http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/the-big-build/not-straightforward.aspx it gives some of the reasons as to why cabs are delayed, although I appreciate it doesn't help your situation.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
deathaxe
Expert
Message 3 of 10

The problem with the power that it is completely out of Openreach's hands.

The company that maintains the local power network will do the work, which can alsio mean apply for a roadworks permit for a day from the local county council if the road needs to be dug up.

Of course this can take time and if the first date is missed for some reason then it will just get put back in a queue for it to be done at a later date when the council gives the permission next.

That have been reports of cabinets takign a whole year to be brought into service. I think the problem is that the local power companies just told Openreach they could cope with all their requests and then were surprised when all this work appeared.

0 Ratings
Rasco
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Thanks for your replies, I'm grateful.

The roadworks are organised by BT, and not the power company; what does that mean?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Could depend on council planning or third parties that Openreach often use contractors for dig works.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Rasco
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

the roadworks were booked in on www.elgin.gov.uk so I assume it passed council booking. I didn't realise they use 3rd party contractors, that would explain a lot though!

Is there anyone I can contact to find out more, or will it always be a case of just "wait and see"?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Unfortunately it's wait and see 😞 Openreach don't give out any info on why and when regarding delays bud.
0 Ratings
Rasco
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

well, I spoke to a local council member, turns out the reason for the delay is that Openreach lost the works order somewhere in the office. Smooth! New one has been created, so it should get done soon....

0 Ratings
jimmehr
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

My FTTC cab has been sitting doing nothing for over a year now, npower (local leccy company) is finally putting in the electrical stuff in.
So hopefully I may be able to order at the end of march. I'm still being doubtful of that date after it being pushed back every 3 months from the original date of June 2010 

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 10

At least the power supply going in is a sign of things happening at last.

0 Ratings