cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
htee89
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

My Neighbour has my phone line!

My Broadband and phone were activated yesterday evening (26/08/14) but was still not working so I waited till morning to see if it would be okay then.

I woke up and checked my phone/homehub but there were still no connection so I logged a fault with BT and arranged for an engineer to visit on Friday. I later tried to ring my phone line and to my surprise my neighbour picked up who then told me she has lost all services with her current provider and was very unhappy as she was not able to do any work from home.

I have called BT back to inform them and asked if they can get this escalated as its quite a big issue now but they will not do anything till the engineer visits on Friday.

Why are BT so slow in resolving such issues caused by themselves?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: My Neighbour has my phone line!

BT do not provide or maintain the external network. This is done by Openreach who work for all service providers. BT do not get any special treatment.

0 Ratings
htee89
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the response Keith,

I understand that Openreach deals with all the work but they are aware of the issue as both myself and the neighbour have informed our respective providers but they will not act any sooner.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

There is not a lot you can do. The Openreach Field Technician would have connected things up according to the routing they were given.

If the routing records were incorrect, then that would have resulted in the lines getting crossed.

The accuracy of routing records does depend a lot on other Field Technicians updating the database, if they make any changes. This may have happened due to a previous fault, where a new routing was needed.

Openreach have specific repair targets for residential customers. If your neighbour works from home, and has a business line, then that would be repaired quickly, as business lines take priority.

0 Ratings
htee89
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

This was actually the second time it has happened to me, I tried to join last year and they took my neighbour down but my line with sky was still working and I ended up cancelling the order completely.

I was very reluctant of rejoining BT after this as happened and I am only doing so to benefit from the employee products but it seems they haven't updated their records after the first time.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

There is not a lot you can do. The Openreach Field Technician would have connected things up according to the routing they were given.

If the routing records were incorrect, then that would have resulted in the lines getting crossed.  

A bad engineer would do that. A decent one would check a circuit before disconnecting/modifying it.

0 Ratings