cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 27

Re: My New Infinity Hub 5

Only way to know for sure what broadband package you are on is to do a BT Wholesale speed test. This will show the IP profiles for your line and confirm what package you have. I agree with @imjolly, there is no point being on Infinity 2 as you can't even reach the Infinity 1 caps.

Run the following speed tester. When the first test completes, click the 'Further Diagnostics' button. In the ADSL/Fibre to the cabinet box, enter your phone number and run the second test. When second test completes, post the results (don't post results from the first test). Note that this test MUST be done with a wired connection: http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

0 Ratings
wilbyhilbly
Contributor
Message 12 of 27

If we can't get the speed, why did they send us the email confirming the speeds as between 30 and 40mbps with a guaranteed minimum of 17mbps, which for us would be brilliant?

I did the test on wholesale but it comes up with an error message saying additional information is not available. 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 27

@wilbyhilbly wrote:

Thank you for your post Keith, this is the result I got which I don't really understand, but it certainly looks as though we should get something better than 0.75 which it is right now.

But hey. what do I know 🙂

2015-12-12_1252.png

from the checker result you have posted  you would never achieve the  infinity 2 speed range as you cannot   achieve the infinity 2 speed range and  are at least 10Mb at best from the top of the infinity 1 speed range you are wasting money paying for infinity 2

0 Ratings
wilbyhilbly
Contributor
Message 14 of 27

Just to keep up to date,

Spent an hour and a half on the chat and phone with the team Robbie suggested, and after starting right from the beginning again, the outcome is, that there appears to be an external fault on the line that the engineers are working on and the complaints department have assured me they will phone between 2 and 4pm on Wednesday and let me know what is happening.

So, looks like I'll just have to wait. I just hope that after all this if they end up saying it is not possible, that there is some way I can cancel everything without a penalty and go back to where we were!

Who oh why, did THEY contact me and tell me that I could now get Infinity, when they surely must have known it wouldn't work.

I asked the man who did the new contract at least 4 times if he was certain that it was available to us and 4 times he assured me he had checked our telephone number and it WAS!.

DO I need all this hassle at my age, noooooooo.... if it were not for my 14yr old son and his ambition to be in IT I think would have given it up altogether and gone back to being a dinosaur.   

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 27

the sales staff would not be aware of a line fault you certainly can get infinity as the checker shows
0 Ratings
wilbyhilbly
Contributor
Message 16 of 27

Thanks John, I'm glad someone can understand the checker because I can't.

0 Ratings
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 27

@wilbyhilbly wrote:

Thanks John, I'm glad someone can understand the checker because I can't.

@wilbyhilbly

I am sure even at the young age of 75 you have done very well to have got this far, and been this patient. 

The checker is basically designed to show what "products/speeds" your telephone line is capable of.  Infinity is simply a product name given by BT Retail to a Fibre product.  I'll try and break it down like this:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Exchange (where all the main equipment for all your area is held),  Street Cabinet (where your line is connected to), your Master Socket (where your phone plugs in).

Your line runs from the Exchange to the Street Cabinet and then to you, but with Fibre (which Infinity is) you have an extra Cabinet.

Imagine it like this: Exchange > Cabinet 1 > Cabinet 2 > Your Master Socket (Home).

----------------------------------------------------------------

The distance your telephone line takes to get to the Cabinet 2 detirmines the speed, so the longer the distance the lower the speed.  With me so far? 

In your case the maxium speed you could/should be able to get is 20Mbps (that's megabits per second).  The fastest speed on Infinity 2 is 80Mbps, so you are paying over what you should be for the speed.  Infinity 1 is 40Mbps (so is cheaper)

If I have confused you, I apologise! 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
wilbyhilbly
Contributor
Message 18 of 27

Thank you so much CJT80, you're explanation is brilliant, I now understand what is happening, (or not at the moment).

I can also now see how they guaranteed a minimum of 17mbps on our line, which to us 1.would be heaven, the highest we have ever had at this address is 1.5 on the old system and we thought we would have to wait for about another 5 years before we stood a chance of getting fibre in this area, so if they can sort our problem out and we just get the minimum 17mbps we will be over the moon.

Fingers crossed for Wednesday.....

Wilbyhilbly

wilbyhilbly
Contributor
Message 19 of 27

I have to say that this forum has been a life saver for me, the help and information given is absolutely brilliant and really helps to take away the frustration of not getting the right results from the "official" channels.

Thanks to all,

A very grateful Wilbyhilbly

0 Ratings
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 27

@wilbyhilbly wrote:

Thank you so much CJT80, you're explanation is brilliant, I now understand what is happening, (or not at the moment).

I can also now see how they guaranteed a minimum of 17mbps on our line, which to us 1.would be heaven, the highest we have ever had at this address is 1.5 on the old system and we thought we would have to wait for about another 5 years before we stood a chance of getting fibre in this area, so if they can sort our problem out and we just get the minimum 17mbps we will be over the moon.

Fingers crossed for Wednesday.....

Wilbyhilbly

Good Morning @wilbyhilbly

You are most welcome, and I am really glad my explanation helped.  Fingers crossed for today for you!  Please do come back and let us know what happens. 

Smiley Happy

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings