Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SimonN
Contributor
Message 1 of 37

My Tale of OpenReach / BT woe

Go to solution

I guess I'm venting a little but, needs must....

After 100's of houses being on a damp piece of ADSL string for years  - we got notification (well - actually I found out) that we weren't ever getting FTTC but jumping straight to FTTP.

I signed up on the day. I was first in the queue. I was elated.

Long story but, after some loops I got my install done, router where I wanted it. Perfect.

Turned on - Red light - nothing. Intermittent Green light. Sometimes an hour. Sometimes less. Reduced ( to 20%) service.

The excellent 'on-the-ground' engineer traced it down to a fault to the splitter from the outside world. My connection to the splitter is pefect. The Light to the splitter from the outside world is too low. 35.8 db loss.

'Reported. Escalated. Frac/Frak/Frack team on the case.

3 days later I'm asked to be at home again (a second day's vacation) for the OpenReach team to check the fix.

3 days later I open the door to a grinning OpenReach engineer to install a modem and fttp broadband.

He's miffed at his wasted, completely misdirected and incorrect appointment - issue was reported in the wrong queue - and this time, promise...

'Reported. Escalated. Frac/Frak/Frack team on the case.

That was 5 days ago. Today I phoned up BT (again) who contacted 'our engineering team' (whom I assume are OpenReach) and, after an hour, - go on - guess...... "I promise, this time I've definitely done it. No mistake......"

Reported. Escalated. Frac/Frak/Frack team on the case.

So now I've been promised a call back in 48 hours. Thursday. For a repair schedule. Each day more and more houses are being connected (disconnected!) to this faulty splitter. BT seem unable to get Openreach (the inaccessible Openreach) to do anything. Calling BT is an utter torture (the FTTP team are better I have to say)  and OpenReach seem blissfully happy to keep on connecting people to a faulty line.

It's a lesson in frustration. Honestly - if they weren't handed the infratucture after privatisation they simply wouldn't survive an open market. It's been a over a week since I lost SKY and I've had worse, less stable FTTP broadband (vs ADSL) since and, frankly, I have no visibilty whatsover of a measurable improvment in sight. I guess the ombudsman is going to be busy once all the houses local to me start to realise what's going on.

Thanks for reading - it's self help. I'll be back with an update. (Whether anyone reads it or not.)

0 Ratings
36 REPLIES 36
BBNotSpot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 37

Re: My Tale of OpenReach / BT woe

Go to solution

Hello SimonN,

Sorry to hear about your problems getting FTTP working.

I am waiting for FTTP to be available to order (after multiple delays we are being told it will be by the end of this month), so was interested to see if there were any lessons for me to learn from your experience of getting to the point of having the fibre install to the home completed. 

How did you find out when you were able to order?  After ordering, how long did it take for the external works to the house being completed (fibre from manifold to home)? Any other pointers, gratefully received.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
SimonN
Contributor
Message 3 of 37

Go to solution

Hi @BBNotSpot,

I found out becuase I'd been registered with 'superfast-cymru' and had been checking weekly for years.

They didn't inform me however. I saw the cable contractors blowing the fibre cables under the pavement one day and started checking both superfast-cymru and BT after SFC updated their website saying FTTC was no longer an option, but twitter told me that FTTP would be a possible alternative. Eventually BT's website said I was eligable for up to 330mbps and this was then confirmed on SFC site. 

Timeline was as follows:

25/4 ordered.

26/4 CSP installed externally (despite schedule stating it would be 6/5 and I wanted to be present.)

17/5 Modem/Router installed internally - Fault found. ( <-- Barring the obvious - this was an excellent job!)

20/5 Pointless 2nd install.

24/5 No progress on fix as yet.

26/5 Scheduled update on fix.

Hope that helps.

0 Ratings
BBNotSpot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 37

Go to solution

Thanks @SimonN

I am surprised how quickly the first part of the install (CSP) was done after ordering, although looks like the modem install took a few weeks?   I am suprised that the fault is at the exchange to splitter node end as that is meant to be tested during their commissioning period - it seems to take long enough !  Good luck there.

I also want to be present for the install as I want the fibre to enter the house directly in the office (where the current master socket is) and where I have most of the wired devices, and not near the front door.

We fall under "Connecting Cambridgeshire" funding area and as we are now in week 4 of the final commissioning period (testing), I check the following every few days:

1. the Connecting Cambridgeshire website for our area

2. the BT adsl checker

3. the local parish website (in case our local broadband champion has any new information)

Calls to the BT FTTP sales team results in no new information as they are not even aware we are due for FTTP and the OpenReach website for our area/telephone/postcode says "exploring options" - so equally useless.  We are registered to receive updates when they are ready to accept orders, but given their incomplete/incorrect records I have zero confidence that they will be proactive. 

0 Ratings
SimonN
Contributor
Message 5 of 37

Go to solution

@BBNotSpot

Sorry for the delay in replying.

You asked:

"I am surprised how quickly the first part of the install (CSP) was done after ordering, although looks like the modem install took a few weeks?   I am suprised that the fault is at the exchange to splitter node end as that is meant to be tested during their commissioning period - it seems to take long enough !  Good luck there.

I also want to be present for the install as I want the fibre to enter the house directly in the office (where the current master socket is) and where I have most of the wired devices, and not near the front door."

I was amazed how fast the CSP install was (less than 24 hours) but, bear in mind I specifically requested to be there - to discount some concerns I had. They went ahead without me. The issues I now have are clearly attributed to this as, had they reported the fault there and then, which they would have seen - confirmed by the excellent stage 2 installation engineer - I would not be suffering the delays and issues I now have.

One piece of valuable information for you: I was stuck on wondering where the best point to access the house from the CSP was - as mater sockets and phone sockets are not in a good place. For FTTP is really doesn't matter. It's a completely seperate system to your existing phone. You only need a place where you can provide two power outlets. (I have one on an extension lead)

Anyway - Update from BT.

They called me as promised. A FRAC/ PTO representative will be calling me in the next 72 hours (which, I take to be business hours and, as it's now Thursday before bank holiday weekend, will probably mean in a week 😞  ) to arrange yet another confirmation of the 35.8db light loss and hopefully, this time, with a following wind, escalate it another small step towards a fix. Before comitting to another day's vacation I will need to confirm why I need to be there at all. They want internal access. I don't know why but, at least it feels like progress (fingers crossed it will still feel like that next week.)

0 Ratings
BBNotSpot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 37

Go to solution

Thanks @SimonN

Understood on the fibre entry point being separate from the telephone line, just mentioned it as I need it to come into the office where I have plenty of power sockets, and the main PC which will be connected via ethernet cable.  This is where the OR master socket is today for the same reasons.  It is also the best position to place the router for wifi for the rest of the house and for an ethernet cable connection to the TV/sky box in the next room.  The nearest power socket to the front door is across the hallway.

Hope you get your issue resolved promptly.  Would be good to see a post of how they resolve your problem and the FTTP speed when you get it all sorted and working - an inspiration for all those of us waiting months for FTTP to be "ready to order" that is is worth the wait...  

0 Ratings
SimonN
Contributor
Message 7 of 37

Go to solution
@BBNotSpot.

My cable from csp to ONT is about 15m. It goes from CSP, around the outside of the house 90 degrees and then up from ground floor to the top floor. (3 storey house) before its drilled through to the office. It's been tested and has almost zero Db loss from the junction.
I think you'll be fine. My interior installation stage 2 engineer was outstanding.
0 Ratings
SimonN
Contributor
Message 8 of 37

Go to solution

Now I'm getting angry. Really angry.
The PTO didn't call me. I've chased BT today and they say they chased Openreach. Openreach have called just now and they say they fixed the fault in the 26th. The same day as I posted above. I've just done all the speed tests I can and its reporting 51 mbps down/ 20 up. They haven't done anything. I've now been asked to take a 3rd day's vacation tomorrow for them to confirm the fix. I'm furious. I have no choice. It hasn't been fixed. If it has - why isn't wholesale or speed test.net showing any change?!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 37

Go to solution

What Infinity option are you paying for? Just because FTTP can go up to 300Mbs, your speed will be capped at whatever speed you package specifies.

0 Ratings
SimonN
Contributor
Message 10 of 37

Go to solution
I'm on infinity 3. 200-220 down. 20 up.
0 Ratings