Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SimonN
Contributor
Message 11 of 37

Re: My Tale of OpenReach / BT woe

Go to solution
I just don't understand the disjointed nature of the whole operation. I genuinely think I'll be using a third day's vacation tomorrow and an standard Openreach installation engineer is going to show up with two cardboard boxes under his arm.
0 Ratings
SimonN
Contributor
Message 12 of 37

Go to solution

So, Lunch is over. Cuppa in. Calmer.

I'll try discounting a device that may be causing an issue.

My gut tells me this is a waste of time but, better to be sure.

Does anyone know of any connected devices that could be causing a huge drop in download speed?

Bizarrely - the 20 up is exactly what I'm paying for. I've been testing using cat 6 ethernet only to a gigabit ethernet port. Both HH5a and R7000 report similar speeds.

I have Sky box, Amazon fire TV, Devolo power lines, a series of apple devices and a mac.

I'm sure that having these connected to the router wouldn't cuase this but, I guess, it's possible? In a weird world?

I'll disconnect everything later except the single computer for testing purposes.

I'm wondering now if something isn't configured in the modem properly?

>>> Could that be true?

(I can't get into the modem itself, nor would I know what to look for really anyway.)

0 Ratings
SimonN
Contributor
Message 13 of 37

Go to solution

dslchecker.jpg

Just for completeness.

0 Ratings
SimonN
Contributor
Message 14 of 37

Go to solution

So, I guess I'm talking to myself 🙂 but anyway - turned off everything, wifi, disconnected all cables and started from scratch.

As expected - connecting each device one by one made no difference.

I'm home now tomorrow. openreach due.

We'll see.

Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

I saw a single peak at 197mbps and 20mbps up

The rest of the time it ranged from 20/20 to 80/20 and everthing in between.

Curiously the upload never, ever deviates more than a tiny bit 0 just the download varies from 10% 40% of expected mostly with, as I mentioned, a single peak of ~200.

All WAN/LAN ports triggering at 1000M.

0 Ratings
SimonN
Contributor
Message 15 of 37

Go to solution

Well - as expected. Mr Openreach is here. Line tested. 35.8 db Loss.

PTO did NOT fix the problem. It looks like it's blatent lying as they have said they did and yet the Engineer here is reporting exactly the same loss as before. There is no evidence that anything has been done at all - despite OR saying the PTO has been out and the problem addressed.

MODS - can you help raise a complaint please? Enough is enough. That's 3 days holiday I've lost.

DavidM
Message 16 of 37

Go to solution

Hi @SimonN and thanks for posting.

This doesn't sound good at all. FTTP has a ring fenced team who deal solely with that product but I'll be happy to take a look at this for you. Can you drop me over an email with your details? You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
SimonN
Contributor
Message 17 of 37

Go to solution

Short update - Nothing has actually been resolved as yet but, I feel far more confident of a solution now I have help from the Mods on here.

Thanks from me for getting involved. As things progress I'll update this thread further.

0 Ratings
SimonN
Contributor
Message 18 of 37

Go to solution

Hi Mods - Today's the day. 🙂

I'm hoping for a callback later as discussed.

I have a couple of meeting scheduled this afternoon so If I don't answer could you please try again in 30 minutes?

I really don't want to miss the call but one meeting i won't be able to get out of.

Cheers - Simon.

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 19 of 37

Go to solution

Hi @SimonN I'll pass your message on to your case handler and I can see they have this scheduled for today.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
SimonN
Contributor
Message 20 of 37

Go to solution
I didn't get a call after all. Please could you try ASAP?
I gave up and rang FTTP team myself. I was told the complaint had been updated and Openreach had fixed the fault Wednesday.

Except: Tested the line yesterday and it was the same.
My neighbour had FTTP installed yesterday and the modem won't sync. Line tested at 36db light loss.

I'm frankly staggered. Openreach have lied twice now. Twice they say they've fixed the problem. Twice there has been no change.

I can only assume this fiasco is a box ticking exercise to remove and reset the timer on any complaint timeline.

Ombudsman time.
0 Ratings