cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

My broadband also constantly drops out

Good evening, I hope this post isnt too long.

We have been BT customers at this address for over 40 years.

Every few years something goes wrong with our broadband and it is always a battle to try get it fixed with BT always starting off trying to blame our equipment.

I digress, this time I have been having problems with the broadband dropping out several times a day and sometimes several times per hr for the last few months. Initially I did think it could have been my equipment as I had been using my old TP link router for many years. I then replaced the router with a new updated version from TP Link and problem persisted, I changed out the line filter and all cabling from master socket and still problem persists. The master socket was changed out by BT a couple of years ago when they were trying to fix my last problem with the internet dropping every time I made or received a call ( fault traced to a short in the exchange)

I contacted BT on the 1st of September to be told by the foreign call center worker that it must be my router as I am not using a home hub and that home hubs are specifically designed to work with BT broadband and would not listen to reason or pay any attention to any of the fault finding I had done before contacting them for help. He then told me that he would be sending me a home hub to try and that BT would contact me again to see if this rectified the problem. I never received a new home hub and the fault was closed out without anyone talking to me again.

The reason I do not use a home hub is because in the days before home hubs I had several BT modems and each one would go faulty after several months and I would be without internet for several days when I awaited my new modem, I had no confidence when I was sent the first version of the home hub hence using the TP link router which has served me well for numerous years.

I then contacted BT on Wednesday 28th to be told they were going to "refresh my line from the exchange" and I was to monitor my internet for the next 2 days. This is where it realy started to go wrong with connection dropping numerous times per hr. I also told the operator that my phone line is also crackling to which he payed no attention.

Friday comes and I am contacted by a lady from the call center, thankfully when she called the broadband was realy playing up and she has passed my case to the engineers and also opened a ticked to the phone line (which she tested and couldnt find anything wrong) After she did her tests my internet became almost unusable with the speed crashing also, I did a speed test this afternoon and was only getting 0.97 meg when I am paying and used to getting a 20 meg connection.

The only time I can use my internet reliably is during the night as during they day the drop outs are more frequent and the speed is unusable.

When I checked the status of my faults today I found that I need to book an engineer to attend my home to check the crackling phone line fault, unfortunately I have training courses Monday and Tuesday and return to my work for 2 weeks on Wednesday, had I been asked at the time I could have arranged for a Saturday appointment but I only found out about this required visit by accident.

The modern BT is a joke, we had far better service when it was still in public hands. I am usually supportive of BT as my father used to work for them from their inception till he retired and the post office before being transfered to BT when they were born.

I recon I will be leaving BT when I return from work as their service is appalling.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: My broadband also constantly drops out

BT Retail do not provide or maintain the external network. This is done by Openreach (A BT Group Business) who work for all Service Providers apart from Virgin Media. BT Retail do not get any special treatment.

If you have a line fault, changing providers will make no difference.

A noisy phone line will affect broadband.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 12

Hi @GMacSco Sorry about the problem with your line and broadband connection. 

I know it's not convenient for you to book an appointment at the moment. Is there any chance you could arrange for another responsible adult to be at the property and book a suitable appointment with our faults team?

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Many thanks for responding,

Unfortunately with me returning to work this week there shall be nobody available to be in as my brother also goes back to his work and cant come down and baby sit the house. My parents live on an island so ferry fares and travelling are also not an option.

I can guarentee the fault lies at the exchange or the wiring from the exchange to my home as I have changed out all components in the home and tried plugging the microfilter directly into the master socket. There has been no building or renevation work carried out to my property, so as far as I can see the fault is external somewhere in the supply line.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 12

Hi @GMacSco Thanks for posting back. The line test must not be picking up a fault on the line and that's why they are looking for us to agree an appointment with you. 

We will be happy to help you (if you can wait approx a week) if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Not a problem John,

I managed to get through to them again via live chat as I noticed every time I receive a call the internet drops out also. I have managed to persuade them to have an engineer check the exchange when I am away at work, as the last time this happened there were damaged contactors in the exchange causing a short between the two circuits.

I have escalated a complaint regarding my contact on the 1st of September where the operator would not listen and told me he was sending me a home hub which never arrived and why Broadband fault was closed out without contacting me to find out if the problem had been resolved. Causing me to have a sub standard and worsening connection for yet another month.

As I type I am having to wait to press the "post" button as someone has just called the landline haha

I will cross my fingers that the fault is discovered and fixed whlst I am at my work.

All the best

Graeme

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Well thats my mind made up. I had to pop home from work to get my bank card so i tested my internet. BT Openreach have fixed the dropping out issue but my broadband speed has dropped even further to .3 meg and to top it off some useless cretin has closed out my broadband fault    NOT  HAPPY

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Scrub that it just dropped out when i called out. seemed fine when i called in. I give up BT is getting the boot after more than 40 years. Virgin here I come
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

I have never had a BT home hub, I have never been sent one as my internet contract pre dates home hubs. These Indian call centers are a nightmare, its your donald duck whether yopu get someone who listens or just reads off the screen. I got another one who would not listen and told me to contact the third party router manufactorer as she could not help. When I asked to speak to a supervisor I was told I couldnt.

When I stated I wanted to make a complaint about her she refused to pass me to a supervisor or give me her name or ID number

BT should have a long hard  look at themselves as they are the laughing stock of the industry. Words cannot decribe how frustrated and angry I am

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 12

Hi @GMacSco,

Thanks for posting. I can fully appreciate how frustrating this is for you. I'm sure I can help so if you haven't already done so please send over your details. You'll get the contact link in my profile. We're very busy at present so it's taking longer than expected to reply but once you submit the details we'll get to you in turn.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings